Looking for a ground flight instructor near Buttonville Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

redhawkdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Looking for a ground flight instructor near Buttonville Airport

Post by redhawkdown »

What is the best way to find a good ground flight instructor near Buttonville?
I don't want to walk into a school and pick an instructor because the school is taking a huge cut.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Looking for a ground flight instructor near Buttonville Airport

Post by PilotDAR »

When you say a "ground flight instructor" do you mean a groundschool instructor? or a flight instructor? or a flight instructor who would like to teach groundschool privately?

If you'd like private tutored groundschool, okay, it can be done though must be in agreement with the flight training unit. You're probably better to take groundschool at the place where you intend to take flight training. Yes, the school will take a cut of that, though "huge" really doesn't happen in the cuts that flying schools take anywhere, they're just staying in business. Think of it in the bigger picture - you have an interest in flying, it's in your interest to pay a fair price to the service provider, so they'll still be in business, when you want to go back to rent a plane!

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

I am curious as to what people think is “too big of a cut” for ground school. What is Harv’s rate for online instruction?

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
redhawkdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by redhawkdown »

I'm looking for a "tutor".
My TC requirements are done.
I'd rather give the cut to the instructor who is actually doing the work than giving it to the school.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

redhawkdown wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 pm What is the best way to find a good ground flight instructor near Buttonville?
I don't want to walk into a school and pick an instructor because the school is taking a huge cut.
Stop being a cheap sh*t. The school deserves a reasonable cut, because they have to provide the premises, supervision, full time admin staff, heating, lighting, phone etc that you don’t think you need (but you do).

Same for lawyers, accountants, taxi drivers, graphic designers, and all professional and similar engagements.

There are many reasons to prefer a freelance instructor over a school, but penny pinching the overheads of a flight school isn’t a good one.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Unless you have quite a bit of extra money to buy a plane I would suggest going for some dual at a school. It's by far the best and least expensive way to fly if you're only going to go for around an hour a few times a month.

Renting a FTU plane is the cheapest way to go until you fly a fair bit over a hundred hours a year.

For perspective. If you book once a week for an hour you won't get 52 hours due to weather.

If you get into a real great partnership you might be able to fly under a hundred and pay less but it will still be cheaper to get your currency back via a school.

If you just want to talk about flying to get your brain partially back in the game do that here. It's free.

If you own a plane and are looking for a freelance instructor disregard.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

By all means get an independent ground instructor and save a small fortune! FTU's charge more because they have to pay heavy overhead costs.

Put an announcement here on the "Marketplace" page and then negotiate a rate.

Here in Canada we have what is called a free market where people such as you looking for a service can engage an independent contractor as they wish. Don't be impressed by all this talk that only a certified flying school can offer this.

Some of the best flight training and ground school I ever received was totally outside of the FTU environment. Nothing wrong with what you are seeking whatsoever.

Good luck!

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Stop being a cheap sh*t.
It makes me wonder what on earth the local school may be charging that would be more expensive. If I was going to tutor, I'd be doing that for at least $60/hour, to which if I needed to cover the full forty hours of ground school material means it would run someone $2400 for PPL training. I rarely see a ground school advertised for more than $500, keeping in mind that schools make money on there being a certain volume of students to keep the price reasonable. Many schools also offer discount rates for partial classes (i.e. you only want to take the met classes), return students, or have deals for new students. Hell, I've known it to be given away for free in various promotions, for new club members, or buying block time. So its really hard to imagine that anyone is put out too much by what a school is charging, the only real reason to seek elsewhere is if you feel their product is really terrible.

But that said, it never fails to surprise me how many pilots, or pilot neophytes automatically dismiss their local school. In many cases without having ever spoke to anyone at the school or sampled its services.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

OK. Here you are.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”