Flight Instructor Help

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kylevos
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Instructor Help

Post by kylevos »

Hi guys,

Kinda at a loss here and searching for advise.

I'm nearing the completion of my CPL. I currently have a freelance flight instructor that has just got a new job at a small airline. Since then we haven't talked much and my training has dropped off the map.

I've tried reaching out to him to request my PTR via phone call, text, Facebook message and email. I get little to no response. He's responded a couple times saying he'd call me but never does. This has been going on for over a month now and I'm not sure what to do as I don't have a PTR to go somewhere else with. I do have my logbook but not sure if that's enough for a flight school or another freelance instructor.

Thanks in advance for the advise!
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flight Instructor Help

Post by photofly »

Oh that’s easy. Tell him if the PTR isn’t delivered to you within 48 hours you’ll be contacting the CASI in charge of flight training at his local Transport Canada office, to ask them to take it up with him.

TC takes a very dim view of people,who don’t provide the PTR to their students.

You can reconstruct your PTR from your logbook, but you really don’t want to have to go to that trouble.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

What a jerk.
FYI to others, the PTR is actually yours, and if you desire you can keep it with you, giving it to the instructor as needed. At most established flight schools you won't need this practice, but there are a few repeat reincarnates that are bad apples.

It might make the transition a little chunky but you can at least pick up flying somewhere else quickly without a PTR. Just mention where you are and it should be fairly painless. You'll need it eventually in order to submit to TC, and to tally your requirements if you're flight test ready, but don't make its absence a barrier to flying right now. A competent instructor and school should be able to transition you with a minimum of "adjustment".

I second Photofly's use of the TC threat- and make it a tight timeline.

Good luck.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The proper timeline is now, why bother giving him 48 hours?

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

My suspicion is, if he/she can't be bothered to return it after a whole month, then they probably lost it and making excuses. Does the instructor seem responsible enough to not lose such a document?

kylevos
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kylevos »

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the reply’s! I have gotten in contact with my CFI and we have arranged to have it returned this weekend. Again, thanks for the awesome advice!

Return to “Flight Training”