Immigrate to Canada & Flying as Pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Immigrate to Canada & Flying as Pilot

Post by CaptainArabic »

Hi friends. I did a great choice for my life and my career : I'll come to Canada. Actually I live in France, I am 20, I work as a Technician, and I'm passioned by airplanes. I decided to immigrate for September 2019, I just have to found the school. I decided to leave French & European possibilities, because I really want to try some things before getting the liner, as Bush or Charter ( I love the Beech 1900 :mrgreen: )

I found six schools, with similar infrastructure and prices, as you'll see I'll avoid Quebec and the East :

- Mitchinson Flight Centre - Saskatoon - SK

- Pacific Rim Aviation - Pitt Meadows - BC

- Pacific Flying Club - Delta - BC

- Centennial Flight Centre - Villeneuve nx Edmonton - AB

- Langley Flying School - Langley - BC

What do you think about these schools ??
Which one should I choose ??
Thanks, Mehdi
Does my English level seem good ??

P.S. : I already checked possibilities to immigrate. I conclude when you get a Canadian "degree/certificate/diploma" it's easier to get a province sponsorship and the PR with Express Entry process.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by CaptainArabic on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Immigrate to Canada & Flying as Pilot

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

I'd stay where you are at. Jobs for pilots are not plentiful in Canada. 5000+ hrs for me without an Airline position yet.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:32 am I'd stay where you are at. Jobs for pilots are not plentiful in Canada. 5000+ hrs for me without an Airline position yet.
Just do an exchange. When Mehdi comes over, you move to France.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

lownslow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am
Roadrunnersmother wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:32 am I'd stay where you are at. Jobs for pilots are not plentiful in Canada. 5000+ hrs for me without an Airline position yet.
What would that accomplish?

CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CaptainArabic »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am
lownslow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am
What would that accomplish?
You said European market is better, and that is false :

- Training costs apprx. 70k€, and it may climb to 120k€
- In most cases you have to pay the QT : add 30k€
- Training duration is 2 years ( 8 mo in Canada )
- Taxes are higher

Should I pursue ??

CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CaptainArabic »

I got once again some questions to ask, if someone can reply it, that would be good.

- Is it possible to study the Ground School by myself. I try to avoid 300$ per Ground Session ( one for PPL, one for CPL, one for Multi IFR, one for FI ) ?? Is it the best option to selfstudy, I economise and I train selfstudying skills.

- Others will come ... I have forgotten :mrgreen:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CaptainArabic wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:49 pm I got once again some questions to ask, if someone can reply it, that would be good.

- Is it possible to study the Ground School by myself. I try to avoid 300$ per Ground Session ( one for PPL, one for CPL, one for Multi IFR, one for FI ) ?? Is it the best option to selfstudy, I economise and I train selfstudying skills.

Yes you can. Is it the best option? That's up to you to decide. It's not super complicated, but it can be quite a bit of new material to study.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CaptainArabic »

digits_ wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 pm
CaptainArabic wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:49 pm I got once again some questions to ask, if someone can reply it, that would be good.

Yes you can. Is it the best option? That's up to you to decide. It's not super complicated, but it can be quite a bit of new material to study.
I would economise 1200$. For this sum, I'll prefer to go to all ground sessions organized by the school. As we say, quality has no price :prayer:

CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CaptainArabic »

I have another question :

- How can I do to prepare PSTAR and Radio Operation Certificate ?? I know I have to to pass these exams when I arrive, before making solos ?? I found TC study guide 11919, but there is no text, only annals. Are they books to selfstudy these 2 exams before I get Canada ??

Also, I'm organizing pre-training visit, maybe in Febrary, between BC AB and SK. I think to begin flight training in September. Is it a good strategy ?

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by knackebrod »

Yes you need a PSTAR and Radio license before your first Solo. If you have the TC study guide that will help you a lot. I think you can also do some online courses.
These tests aren't too hard (my opinion).
What I would recommend before you even come to Canada for a pre-training visit is to find a facility that can do a Canadian Class 1 medical check near you. What if you spend all that time and money to prepare for your flight training and in the end they find something on your Medical that will prevent you from ever flying on a commercial level?

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

I agree with knackebrod, go get your medical first before you make any major moves. To find a Dr: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c ... x?lang=fra

You will also need to get a student visa, then figure out your plans after you finish your training. I see you have already found the Express Entry details.

If your objective is to learn to fly only, then starting in September (with winter coming up) may not make the most sense.
If your objective is to immigrate, then you may wish to seriously consider a university of college flight training program (say, mount royal university or university of waterloo). The extra credentials (and knowledge) may come in handy. Knowing both French and English is very good.

CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CaptainArabic »

nbinont wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:12 pm I agree with knackebrod, go get your medical first before you make any major moves. To find a Dr: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c ... x?lang=fra

You will also need to get a student visa, then figure out your plans after you finish your training. I see you have already found the Express Entry details.

If your objective is to learn to fly only, then starting in September (with winter coming up) may not make the most sense.
If your objective is to immigrate, then you may wish to seriously consider a university of college flight training program (say, mount royal university or university of waterloo). The extra credentials (and knowledge) may come in handy. Knowing both French and English is very good.
Medical is very important. I can get it in France ( I talk about Canadian Class 1 of course ). What I imagined : it's to begin during Aug or Sept, finish the PPL & Night & MEP within 2.5 / 3 months, go to the U.S. during 2 months to make a time building, come back to Canada on March ( the end of Winter ) to make Multi-IFR, CPL, and FI rating.

But maybe beginning on March would be better : finish the PPL & co. on June, go Time Building during the summer ( maybe planning a trip to Oshkosh will be a great idea :mrgreen: ), and finish the training within Dec.

Also, I make myself interested by uni courses. But firstly, I dont know if they will be enough attractive to pay more ( is a uni training better than a private flight school - does it open more possibilities for a wannabe ). Second, I know Aviation courses are done within 2 years, but modular training is done within 1 year, also modular gives more possibilities when integrated limits you to one course.

Thx,

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

Your post speaks for itself. The jobs have never been more plentiful.

CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CaptainArabic »

Tailwheelup wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:53 pm
Your post speaks for itself. The jobs have never been more plentiful.
:goodman:

avaenthusiast
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avaenthusiast »

Does anyone know what the requirements are to obtain a PGWP? I have seen some very contradicting posts. This is what the cic website states currently:
"Flight instructors who meet either of the following criteria may be issued work permits under the PGWPP:

have completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and have obtained a Canadian commercial pilot’s licence
have obtained or be in the process of obtaining an instructor’s rating and have received an offer of employment as a flight instructor from a flight training centre

Applicants providing either of the above documents may be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for 3 years if the flight training course was at least 2 years in duration. Applicants whose course of study is between 8 months and 2 years in duration will be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for the length of the program. Flight training courses less than 8 months in duration do not qualify a student for a post-graduation work permit."

The sounds to be like one only needs to meet one of the two requirement; so if one satisfies the first, then he or she would NOT need a job offer to apply for a PGWP. Is that correct?

Besides the flight instructor way, is completing one of those iATPL programs enough to apply for a work permit? Or do ALL international students have to go through the instructor route to get a work permit?

CaptainArabic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CaptainArabic »

avaenthusiast wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:36 am Does anyone know what the requirements are to obtain a PGWP? I have seen some very contradicting posts. This is what the cic website states currently:
"Flight instructors who meet either of the following criteria may be issued work permits under the PGWPP:

have completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and have obtained a Canadian commercial pilot’s licence
have obtained or be in the process of obtaining an instructor’s rating and have received an offer of employment as a flight instructor from a flight training centre

Applicants providing either of the above documents may be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for 3 years if the flight training course was at least 2 years in duration. Applicants whose course of study is between 8 months and 2 years in duration will be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for the length of the program. Flight training courses less than 8 months in duration do not qualify a student for a post-graduation work permit."

The sounds to be like one only needs to meet one of the two requirement; so if one satisfies the first, then he or she would NOT need a job offer to apply for a PGWP. Is that correct?

Besides the flight instructor way, is completing one of those iATPL programs enough to apply for a work permit? Or do ALL international students have to go through the instructor route to get a work permit?
- Have studied for 8 months or more
- With a Study Permit
- The duration of PGWP is equal to the duration of your course
- All schools who deliver Study Permit can deliver PGWP, flight schools are included of course
- You dont need a job offer if you satisfy the requirements

I advice the Instructor way during your PGWP, then you apply to WHV and you can get a job in Tier 3 airline. You can do what you want with a PGWP.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

CaptainArabic wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:57 pm - How can I do to prepare PSTAR and Radio Operation Certificate ?
Here is one of the best resources for studying to write the PSTAR, though after doing ground school the PSTAR exam should be a breeze.

http://www.principalair.ca/pstar_table_ ... .htm#PSTAR

The only thing I found unusual on the radio exam was that was the day I learned what a Pan Pan call is.
Does my English level seem good ??
I don't know, I have not heard you over a radio.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Sure you can self study, but if you're worried about $300 you might find the rest of the costs too high.

yaro007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yaro007 »

That's a little bit of a generalized statement. There are jobs, just in specific sectors. Where have you applied with your time and not have gotten a job?

Return to “Flight Training”