Lift Video

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Lift Video

Post by photofly »

Beefitarian wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:46 am Reading the hand out the car window. I just realized my hand is airfoil shaped. The palm is concave and the top is convex.

Whoa.

I will have to go see if I can feel a low pressure on the top next chance I get.
See if you can go first enough for the low pressure to strip all the hairs off the back of your hand. (Don't tell anyone but I'm going to try to sell the technique to ladies' salons. Beats waxing.)
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:19 am
Beefitarian wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:46 am Reading the hand out the car window. I just realized my hand is airfoil shaped. The palm is concave and the top is convex.

Whoa.

I will have to go see if I can feel a low pressure on the top next chance I get.
See if you can go first enough for the low pressure to strip all the hairs off the back of your hand. (Don't tell anyone but I'm going to try to sell the technique to ladies' salons. Beats waxing.)
That would be an interesting alternative for a Brazilian wax.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I wonder if heat from the air friction will burn it off at a lower speed than will be required to produce sufficient negative pressure to suck the follicles out.

Off topic but, I quite enjoyed the video demonstrating Magnus effect.
photo fly wrote:
What are your thoughts on having the motors high and the KFC buckets remaining at the origional position? Seemed like on the twin prop version with the high bucket configuration, thrust would be counter productive to the buckets trying to get faster airflow over the top.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Low buckets are preferred for twins, but they reduce your ground clearance. It's also really important to eat the chicken *first* - everyone forgets that bit.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I am not certain of much in life but I will boldly guarantee that I will remember to eat the chicken first, 100%!

I like how early on he deleted the landing gear. Knowing your limitations and focusing on your strengths is under rated.

I hope I can be inspired to get offline later and force my kids to build something later.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Beefitarian wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:35 am I am not certain of much in life but I will boldly guarantee that I will remember to eat the chicken first, 100%!
You say that now... but something will happen at a critical moment and ruin your concentration... and the next thing you know, your rotors are spinning up and there's still chicken in a bucket.

Don't be complacent, and make sure that your last minute memory-item checklist includes "chicken eaten, buckets empty".

Fry safely, my friend.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, I'll confess, I might also have to put most of the chicken in another container for refrigeration now days if we are in a hurry to get flying.

:(

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Beefitarian wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:46 amI will have to go see if I can feel a low pressure on the top next chance I get.
Unlikely, as the back of your hand probably isn't sensitive enough. But you will likely notice a higher pressure on your palm, and since it's higher below and relatively lower above, there is a difference resulting in lift. Also a tip vortex off your fingers, and a downdraft in the area downstream of your hand.

But if you had a sensitive instrument for measuring pressure at a point, yes, you would measure a lower pressure on top of your hand than the free stream of air.

Return to “Flight Training”