AIRAF

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

goose_68
Rank 1
Rank 1

AIRAF

Post by goose_68 »

Was wondering if anyone has written the AIRAF recently and wanting to get some feedback so as to know where to focus my study as I am just beginning to prepare for it .
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by goose_68 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not important where planes are going ... what's important is to get on !
Tempforeignworker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AIRAF Instructor Exam

Post by Tempforeignworker »

Wrote it a few weeks back. No exam number, no maps provided, didn't even have to bust out a calculator. No met, no navigation, no VOR/ADF intercept questions.

Know the first 50 pages of the FIG very well since my exam had several questions that you would find in a small sentence on one of the pages. Know how to deal with different types of students, oral questions, lesson plans and the rundown/point of them, what the pre-flight briefing consists of, etc...

Know theory of flight very well, which wing stalls first during a turn, climbing turn, descending turn, calculating rate one turn speed, etc...

Know the CARS well, what can/can't a class IV do, supervision, who can act as a CFI, requirements to upgrade, etc...

Know flight test tolerances for the RPL, PPL, and CPL.

Human factos, illusions, rain on windshield, black hole, wide/narrow runway, etc...

Some basic questions on GPS such as how many satellites, how it works, etc...

That's what I remember more or less, plus the random questions you can't really prepare for.

Used Sharper Edge for some questions and only found it useful for the theory of flight,CARS stuff.

kilo3bravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilo3bravo »

Check out the . instructor manuals. I found them very well organized for both the AIRAF and AIRAT exams (I have both sharper edge and . - definitley recommend the latter). Tempforeignworker nailed the subjects above.

Student attitudes/curve of remembering, theory of flight, and human factors are a significant portion of the exam.

PM me and i can send you my study notes.

Edit: sorry I'm new here - seems the manual i recommended was censored... we not allowed recommending a certain type of book?

Edit 2: found the reason with a simple search. PM me and i'll recommend there.

Bravomike33
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bravomike33 »

Hello !
I just wrote the AIRAF 2 weeks ago.

From the ground up
FGI
Cars 420ishes
RPP, PPL, CPL flight test guide

You have to know absolutely the theory of flight. Angle of attack. Angle of attack and angle of attack. Is not a hard exam.
No weather, no many instruments, excepted VOR altitude and some really basic GPS. But mainly, is theory of flight, learning factor , student behaviour and CARS ( licence and FTU).
The section TOF in the FGU is good. Your school should give you a ground school with some practice exams.

I did some practice with .*ne and Nizus.

I passed at 84%

Cheers.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

kilo3bravo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 am Check out the . instructor manuals. I found them very well organized for both the AIRAF and AIRAT exams (I have both sharper edge and . - definitley recommend the latter). Tempforeignworker nailed the subjects above.

Student attitudes/curve of remembering, theory of flight, and human factors are a significant portion of the exam.

PM me and i can send you my study notes.

Edit: sorry I'm new here - seems the manual i recommended was censored... we not allowed recommending a certain type of book?

Edit 2: found the reason with a simple search. PM me and i'll recommend there.
These can be found here:

http://www.acceleratedaviation.com/webs ... uctor.html
http://www.acceleratedaviation.com/webs ... uctor.html

Return to “Flight Training”