PC-12 F/O TRAINING..?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Floatr
Rank 1
Rank 1

PC-12 F/O TRAINING..?

Post by Floatr »

Hello,

I tried the search option but can't exactly find specific advice.

If someone with a PPL and Cat 1 medical with approx. 180 hrs. wanted to have a flying career on a PC12 with possibly eventually moving on to regionals flying Dash 8 or at the most Q400...is it possible to get CPL with single engine (IFR) at a private flight school then move into a single engine F/O position without spending time in multi engine aircraft building hours...?

Would the best option be some float or caravan time( no instructing) first before moving to single turbine...???

Already have two flight schools picked out just wondering what the quickest/realistic route would be for someone looking to fly as a second career aiming at 10-12 yrs before retirement.

THANKS in advance...!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Floatr on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: PC-12 F/O TRAINING..?

Post by 172_Captain »

Yes a CPL is all you need. An IFR rating if you’re operating IFR which I assume you will be. Don’t believe the PC-12 requires a type rating (maybe someone else can answer), in which case you won’t need an IATRA or ATPL exams written.

While you don’t need a multi engine rating or a MIFR, keep in mind that if your employer requires an ATPL, you will need a MIFR as it’s a requirement for holding an ATPL.

You should be fine going from a 172 straight into a PC12. A Caravan uses the same engine.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Correct. No type rating for Pc12. So yes you can absolutely do what you propose. Big issue would be finding a Pc12 operator that isn't medivac (500 hrs min time) or something. Sounds like you might have somewhere in mind though so go for it.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There are two decent options:

1. Get your M-IFR now and the hours count towards the 200 needed for the CPL

2. The ATPL requires a recent M-IFR ride to be signed off. So could wait until it's time to apply before doing your M-IFR rating and ride.

I did option 1, and was flying small twins (no ATPL required) when I got my ATPL, so my PPC ride counted as my M-IFR ride. In your case, even a Dash 8 FO ride could count, but I'd be more focused on getting an ATPL ASAP. So given your preference for the PC12, I'd recommend option 2. Get into he right seat, after a while, upgrade. Once you meet the ATPL time requirements, work on that multi engine part, write the ATPL exams and done!

Floatr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Floatr »

Just heard today ORNGE can't find or keep fixed wings pilots for the PC-12...No pilot shortage however on the rotary side...

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

Floatr wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:29 pm Just heard today ORNGE can't find or keep fixed wings pilots for the PC-12...No pilot shortage however on the rotary side...

They can't fill the positions?

Floatr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Floatr »

Apparently struggling to fill fixed wing seats...any ORNGE pilots on this site care to update or give us an inside opinion...???

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

Northway Aviation outbof St. Andrews Manitoba runs PC-12’s. I don’t think they have a minimum requirement for FO as far as hours go for the PC-12. Great operator to work for!

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Dizzy D wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 am Northway Aviation outbof St. Andrews Manitoba runs PC-12’s. I don’t think they have a minimum requirement for FO as far as hours go for the PC-12. Great operator to work for!
So you don’t know them as far as giving in house feed back but are quick to give them two thumbs up....

Sounds like you don’t know what you speak of....

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 pm [quote="Dizzy D" post_id=<a href="tel:1056032">1056032</a> time=<a href="tel:1540214686">1540214686</a> user_id=38954]
Northway Aviation outbof St. Andrews Manitoba runs PC-12’s. I don’t think they have a minimum requirement for FO as far as hours go for the PC-12. Great operator to work for!
So you don’t know them as far as giving in house feed back but are quick to give them two thumbs up....

[/quote]

I worked for them in 2012-2013. They were a great operator to work for back then and still are now. They run a very safe, efficient operation, and there are a great group of guys/gals who work there.

TPC you are quick to be a troll.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Dizzy D wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 pm [quote="Dizzy D" post_id=<a href="tel:1056032">1056032</a> time=<a href="tel:1540214686">1540214686</a> user_id=38954]

I worked for them in 2012-2013. They were a great operator to work for back then and still are now. They run a very safe, efficient operation, and there are a great group of guys/gals who work there.

TPC you are quick to be a troll.
[/quote]

Nope, I’ve been on this website longer than you’ve probably been licenced. I don’t take kindly to your insult either.

Re-read your origibal post and my response to it.

I look forward to allowing you to save face and redact it as I will with this one once you step off your high horse.

Regards,
TPC

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:40 pm There are two decent options:

1. Get your M-IFR now and the hours count towards the 200 needed for the CPL

2. The ATPL requires a recent M-IFR ride to be signed off. So could wait until it's time to apply before doing your M-IFR rating and ride.

I did option 1, and was flying small twins (no ATPL required) when I got my ATPL, so my PPC ride counted as my M-IFR ride. In your case, even a Dash 8 FO ride could count, but I'd be more focused on getting an ATPL ASAP. So given your preference for the PC12, I'd recommend option 2. Get into he right seat, after a while, upgrade. Once you meet the ATPL time requirements, work on that multi engine part, write the ATPL exams and done!

So a PPC ride is good as doing a instrument proficiency check?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Sure hope so. I just do PPC rides and haven't done an IPC in years! Actually, I don't think I've ever actually done one as they're a relatively new invention.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

marakii wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 am So a PPC ride is good as doing a instrument proficiency check?
Yes, if you have an Instrument Rating completing a PPC satisfies an IPC, unless you hold a PPC conducted under VFR.

Source: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... 1-004.html
Pilots employed by Subpart 4 of Part VI private operators or Part VII air operators generally meet the recency requirements for their instrument rating by means of a competency check, Line Oriented Evaluation (LOE) or pilot proficiency check, as appropriate, instead of an IPC. Employees of Part VII Operators – Visual Flight Rules-Only must use the IPC to meet the recency requirements for their instrument ratings, as a VFR Pilot Competency Check (PPC) does not include the instrument rating sequences.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

I have another question: Would you get a PPC on a PC12? What type of machines/operators/jobs would give you a PPC vs a PCC(which does not count in case you need an IPC) ? What I'm trying to figure out is for what type of jobs, when applying for F/O positions, I need my IPC done prior, and which ones would give me a PPC regardless.

Thanks!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

TC is now requiring a PPC for any SE IFR, even in the right seat. I don't have a source for that, although I'm sure I could find it given enough free time.

Meaning, you don't need an IPC prior to starting on a PC12. However that's only your Group 3 as it's a single. If you want to maintain your Group 1, that's separate.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 pm TC is now requiring a PPC for any SE IFR, even in the right seat. I don't have a source for that, although I'm sure I could find it given enough free time.

Meaning, you don't need an IPC prior to starting on a PC12. However that's only your Group 3 as it's a single. If you want to maintain your Group 1, that's separate.
:prayer: Thank you for the info!!!

VERY good point I had not considered :(

Return to “Flight Training”