Flight Training down South

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dprobe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Training down South

Post by dprobe »

Hello SnowBirds,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on smaller (cheaper) locations in the States to finish up the CPL, IFR, Float? and Multi training? I am looking to spend several months full time around February to try and obtain these ratings. I would prefer not to pay large prices and would like to experience a new city, or warm beach town, in a more mom and pop type training atmosphere.

Any helpful suggestions on places to look into would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flight Training down South

Post by pianokeys »

Many years ago someone tried to lure me in to learning to fly in California by saying you have more flyable days due to the nicer weather. Knowing what I know now, that being a sunshine pilot is only cheating yourself, I wouldnt make it a top priority to move and learn to fly in a nice climate just to bang off some ratings.

Sounds like you have your PPL now. Personally? Id stay in Canada, probably cheaper here. US dollar difference, Trump, you probably wont have health insurance, shootings, all of these things have a cost. Just stay away from the US, I avoid it. Hawaii and Cali are cool with me tho.

mdh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mdh »

US dollar difference
Not much more needs to be said. With the Canadian dollar at around 76 cents that's a 25% cost cost increase off the top on any US flight instruction, and that doesn't include currency exchange fees charged on your credit card. Also doesn't include cost of living, rent, etc unless you have somewhere to stay for free. Also airspace in Florida is busy.

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Probably won't be cheaper, nor will it be more straightforward. Also, the CPL/IR/Float/Multi details have subtle differences - and different flight test exercises - nothing big, but you should study for the specific test you want to take. I would not train in the states to come take the test in Canada. If you want to get hours, sure (you'd need to get a US certificate based on your Canadian Licence to fly N reg aircraft).

If you truly want to train in the states - you'd have to convert your licence into a full FAA PPL (with a FAA medical+tests), then apply for permission to train at a specific school from the TSA for each licence or rating you want to train towards. (with fingerprint fees, you'll probably be close to $200/application for 2 applications). The full conversion and approval process will take many months before you even start training. And you have to start again with the approval process if you ever switch schools.

Then you do your training, get your FAA certificates, and begin a conversion process to get them back to TC licences. TC will probably want an explanation of why you didn't train in Canada for the conversion.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

nbinont wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:14 pmTC will probably want an explanation of why you didn't train in Canada for the conversion.

Rumour has it, although it sounds like you have your PPL, that FAA PPL training isnt as intensive as TC PPL training, aka no spins until CPL. Not sure if thats changed but when I checked back then, TC has a better PPL curriculum requirement than the FAA.

dprobe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dprobe »

All very helpful! Thank you

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

I live in USA and do my training in Canada with exchangr its even cheaper than U.S.. I checked around and the prices I heard were around 160-170 hr for a 172
That's what I pay in Canada and get 25% off that. Straight across prices arent any cheaper and like said before you will loose with exchange. If you train in Bc of course weather is a problem. But let's say California great weather but good luck on rent

Return to “Flight Training”