From CPL to a job what’s needed?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

DavidB
Rank 0
Rank 0

From CPL to a job what’s needed?

Post by DavidB »

I’m planning my path through CPL and single IFR to a first, decent non-instructor job.
What are the stepping stones?
How could I differentiate myself to stand out for recruiters and get through initial HR screening?
Is it mostly the number of PIC hours, the type of planes I’ve flown or the different ratings I hold?
Would it help if I’m a fractional owner of an aircraft and understand the costs and responsibilities associated with flying?

Appreciate any and all input
---------- ADS -----------

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: From CPL to a job what’s needed?

Post by youhavecontrol »

Get your rating at a reputable flight school. If you get your Commercial and Group 1 rating, and pass the IATRA or SAMRA/SARON, you'll be in a decent position in most places these days.

I know you said you're looking for a non-instructor job, but honestly, don't throw instructing by the way-side. Yes, it can be stressful and the pay isn't great initially, but if you want to stand out, having instructor hours seems to be quite favourable across the board. You'll learn a lot. Contrary to what a lot of people assume about instructors, they don't just fly in circles. The consistent adherence to procedure, level of multi-tasking required, hand and feet skills developed, constant review of emergency procedures and dead-reckoning navigation, and regular review of air law make experienced instructors very safe and consistent pilots.

What would I do? (or rather, what DID I do?) Get your Commercial, then your Instructor rating, then work at a flight school and get your Multi and Group 1 at the place you work, using a staff-discount rental and getting a colleague to teach you for the price of a case of beer or something. You could save about 10k doing that (I did... and had both ratings in less than 10 flight hours). Plus, your workplace *should* have a lot of connections for future companies you could work for. Some of my friends have become captains in less than 6 months after leaving our flight school because of the experience they already have.

One last thing.. where I'm at, if I left my instructing job right now, I'd make less than a First Officer almost anywhere, plus I'm home every night.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Craig1983
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: From CPL to a job what’s needed?

Post by Craig1983 »

I've just recently realised that I'm probably not going to get a gig with a fresh Group 1, so I've decided to get the CFI instead and work at the school that taught me just like youhavecontrol said. I can use some savings, or save up a little and do the Group 1 at a discount. I get experience, I'm teaching others, and I'll have more hours on the other side than before. I think that is a good choice. I'll watch this thread though just in case I've missed something and it is possible to get a job close to home for decent pay straight from a CPL/Group 1.

-Craig

Return to “Flight Training”