Dual yokes for training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dual yokes for training

Post by milotron »

Hey,
Looking at some Beechcraft products and have a question for initial transition training, IFR and IPCs.

Are dual yokes required? Many aircraft I am considering have the single swing-over yoke. I think the rules are a little different in the US.

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Dual yokes for training

Post by photofly »

Training Aircraft Requirements
405.23 No person shall operate a training aircraft unless the aircraft meets the personnel licensing standards.

425.23 Training Aircraft Requirements

(1) An aircraft that is used for flight training shall:
(b) have engine power controls and flight controls that are easily reached and that operate in a normal manner from both pilot stations, unless in the case of an ultra-light aeroplane, the trainee has received sufficient ground training and is considered competent to operate the available appropriate controls; and...

You would have to decide how to interpret that in respect of a flight control that can be operated from both pilot stations, but not simultaneously.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

Is flying dual for insurance purposes considered training? Are IPC rides training? Would a flight test for multi IFR be a training flight?

Not trying to be difficult, but want to understand the interpretations.

thanks,

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

From the Flight Test Guide - Instrument

Aeroplane and Equipment Requirements
The initial flight test for the Instrument Rating may be conducted in an aeroplane or in a full-flight simulator (FFS) meeting the requirements stated in this section. The flight test for the renewal of the Instrument Rating may be conducted in an aeroplane, in a full-flight simulator or in a flight training device (FTD) meeting the requirements stated in this section, except that first-time transitions to Group 1 will not be conducted in a FTD.

Aeroplane
An aeroplane to be used for an Instrument Rating flight test will have a valid and current Canadian or Foreign Flight Authority in accordance with the applicable sections of CAR 507 and meet the following requirements:

----

be equipped in accordance with CAR Standard 425.23 - Training Aircraft Requirements, subsections (1), (2) and (7) of the Personnel Licensing Standards with the exception that aeroplanes equipped with an electronic primary flight display are exempt from the requirements of paragraphs 425.23(1) requiring a separate turn and slip or turn coordinator indicator;

For the conduct of an Instrument rating flight test, or IPC test the aircraft must have dual controls

With respect to dual flights to meet insurance requirement the CAR 101 defines "flight training " as follows

flight training means a training program of ground instruction and airborne training that is conducted in accordance with the flight instructor guide and flight training manual applicable to the aircraft used; (entraînement en vol)

This definition would suggest that a dual training flight conducted solely to meet a requirement placed by an insurance company would not meet the definition of "flight training" and therefore the provisions of CAR Part 4 would not apply.

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Interpretation or not, as an instructor, I wouldn't want to teach under any circumstance where I could not take control at any moment. Seemingly competent people have done some crazy things at times.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
dogone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogone »

Slightly off topic but: why do all aircraft have dual controls (most anyway)? Makes very little sense to me and if there is an important reason then why not dual in all vehicles.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The 1975 C182 lists the second set of controls as an optional (extra cost at delivery) item; so does the AA-5B POH. I guess not many customers didn't order the second set of controls, so it's more or less standard now.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”