Actual PPL Flight Cost Totals

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CanadianBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Actual PPL Flight Cost Totals

Post by CanadianBird »

Thought I'd share my experience, as I'm now a Flight Exam away from completing my PPL. Should have been done a month ago, but Mother Nature apparently has been talking with my wife, and doesn't want me to fly (friggin weather). That, coupled with the new flight school in Okotoks, claiming that "the average cost is over $20k" kind of got the hamster on the wheel spinning. Sure, he's going to charge a $15,500 flat rate, but would the average person be overcharged?

Anyways, I started my Ground school at Skywings in Red Deer in January. Started to the sky with my FI in early February. Because I'm a numbers and spreadsheet kind of guy, I documented every flight, ground briefing, exam review and subsequent cost.

My first solo flight was at 11.2 hours. Somewhere in the first 11.2, I had the "discussion" with my Instructor about how "I just wanted you to be aware that it's not a 45 hours and you get your license type of scenario". I was aware of that, and had no issues or preconceived notions about that. Oddly enough, that discussion was prior to our Spin Recovery Lesson (ironic to discuss money before scaring the crap out of yourself.... perhaps).

Fast forward to today (Oct 2). My Flight Totals are as follows:

Instructor time (40.3 Hours)
Solo Time (14.5 Hours)
Debriefing (Exams, Preflight, etc) (4.8 Hours)

Their website states an approximate training cost of $10,833.90, including GST.

With the $100 Administration Fee (assuming this is to process and apply for the PPL once completed) will be $13,021.86, including GST.

Reasons for posting this is:

1- I originally budgeted $12,000 for the PPL. I believe it went higher due to my life getting in the way, weather preventing me from flying as much as I wanted to, and subsequently having "forgot" how to do a few things.
2- $15,500 is still a far cry from $13,000. I wasn't by far the best student, and the quickest learner. Yet, I still managed to complete everything in under 55 hours.
3- Never once did I feel like I was taken advantage of, being strung along, or fleeced. Seen a few posts on here with students not progressing fast enough.
4- The training there has a few deficiencies, but I believe the team is working on them, and improving on processes. Considering I've been a student there since January, I've seen a LOT of progress in multiple areas.

Best of luck to any students who are working on their PPL. I'll be glad when I finally have the flight test completed.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Actual PPL Flight Cost Totals

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

what he said^^

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

Despite life getting in the way and working at your own pace, 55 hrs is still respectable for a PPL. Good Luck on the flight test!

ekg
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ekg »

10 months to a PPL while working full-time seems quick. Were you doing it fulltime? Or is that the norm in your area? I think when they say 20k that's probably the average for non-college? Based on my experience it seems about right.

Last edited by ekg on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanadianBird »

I work a 40-50 hour a week job, plus travel out of town for 10-14 days a year. Add in a 10 day vacation camping with the family, and that’s my life.
I was able to have the support of my boss to take time away from work during the day to complete my flight hours. Since I just finished filling in my log book, I can tell you exact dates:
Intro flight: Dec 23
Ground School: Tuesday, Thursday evenings and Saturdays in January.
First flight: Feb 9.
First Solo: March 31
Flight Test Oct 5
Written Exam: Oct 19.

My original intention was to try and be completed within 6 months (end of June). That became July, then August... you get the picture.
Aside from weather slowing things down for the odd week here and there, and my own vacation and work being in the way (I would be out of town and FI would message me saying he has an opening), I think if I truly stuck with it, 6 months would have been feasible.

As far as night, VFR OTT and IFR ratings... I have my own plane now and will be able to have some flexibility as far as training times.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

ekg wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:06 pmI did mine while I was working. Took me 2 years. With the flight test I was at 90 hours
I would hazard a guess that a some of the reason you took 90 hours to complete is that you stretched it over 2 years. You probably weren't going back often enough to maintain proficiency from lesson to lesson. This isn't a criticism, only an observation... You got the license and that's awesome. Not everyone can dedicate 2-3 hours of flying time a week when getting their PPL. But based on my (unscientific) observations, it seems the people who can will take less time to complete.

I took just under a year to get mine, and "on average" I flew an hour a week. Missed a week here and there due to weather/scheduling, but I doubled up on other weeks (before Solo, before flight test, and a few other times when the weather was good in the summer).

To be fair, I grew up flying with family and friends, so I had a good starting point going in.

ekg
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ekg »

in retrospect I could have done it quicker. If I had to do it again I would go on early morning slots which would be 7am 6-8 months of the year. Aside from occasional haze, weather is typically safe for student solo; including upper air work.

Last edited by ekg on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Stretching it over 2 years is what kills people financially. Vacations are harsh as well. You will not study on the beach in Mexico no matter how much you lie to your self/ instructor and say you will, and when the Mexico Visa bill arrives you won't fly for the following month either.

Return to “Flight Training”