Instructor rating "short course"?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ABU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Instructor rating "short course"?

Post by ABU »

As the subjects eludes, is credit given for experience? Does a 10,000hr pilot require the same training as a 200hr pilot to get an instructor rating with TC? I can't find any reference anywhere so I assume its a one size fits all(or none) but thought I'd post here to see if I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

ABU
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Instructor rating "short course"?

Post by lownslow »

ABU wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:29 amDoes a 10,000hr pilot require the same training as a 200hr pilot to get an instructor rating with TC?
Yes, the focus is more on principles of instruction and adherence to the current TC training structure than on your ability to accurately fly a plane. There are a couple Class 1s who have worked their instructor course down to a fine art who can get you through the exam and flight test with the bare minimum amount of time and money spent. If you're willing to keep your head low and jump through the hoops, that's one option to get your rating quick.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Getting a class 4 within 30 hours is typical. I've ever had anyone use more than 30 hours of flight time. There is a lot of preparation required though making lesson plans, etc.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

See CAR 421.69 (5) (a) (ii) and 421.69 (5) (b) (ii) for experience credit

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

a 10,000hr pilot require the same training as a 200hr pilot
The 200hr pilot has a huge advantage in respect of getting a class IV instructor rating. He or she learned the "Transport Canada way" of learning to fly starting only 200 hours ago, and doesn't have to reach back past 10,000 hours of flying to remember (or most likely, re-learn from scratch) how Transport Canada wants it to be taught.

Once you have your instructor rating, and more likely after you've finished your period of direct supervision at an FTU and upgrade to a Class III instructor rating, then you can draw on those thousands of hours of experience to inform what and how you teach. Until then, you have to keep your head down and impress the examiner not with your consumate skill but with your consumate attention to to the TC syllabus.

You might also like to know that the actual standard of flying expected from a candidate for a Class IV instructor rating is only that of a bare pass for each exercise (2 - major error or major deviation).

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

There are credits if you have ATPL.

ABU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ABU »

I can't seem to find any reference to ATPL credit. Anyone have a link they can post? CARs....grrrrrrrr!

ABU

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

As BPF posted above, referencing CAR 421.69 (5) (a) (ii)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 7fd#421_26

(ii) An applicant who holds an Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Aeroplane, or a teaching certificate issued by provincial or territorial authorities, shall be credited with 10 hours of the 25 hours' ground school instruction requirement.
(amended 1999/03/01)

Return to “Flight Training”