Exam bank q's I can't figure out

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Exam bank q's I can't figure out

Post by AirCanuck »

what are your folks' thoughts on this one

"What is NOT part of a cockpit management system" a) pressurization system b) ACAS c) Weather Radar d) Engine parameters. going by FTGU seems to be pressurization

While I'm at it:

Which statement is TRUE concerning IFR preferred routes : a) they are mandatory b) something unlikely c) they start and stop with a waypoint of navaid d) they can start with an airway.

Q: "what does the finger represent" A: a) the location of the anvil b) probability of tornadoes c) ? d) ? .
(buddy couldn't remember what c and d were - apparently none of the options were hail. My google fu tells me perhaps tornados as hooks/fingers are related to large shear, vertical drafts, and mesocyclones?

-Weather characteristics associated with a trowal. " the dense cloud associated with a trowal:" a) is denser closer to the wave centre b) worsens as you get further from the wave centre
Weather manual states "The potential for dense cloud and hazardous weather therefore is greatest near the wave crest and becomes progressively less with distance from the crest." I assume the 'crest' is the centre and so the answer would be a?

more to follow, I'm sure... the joys of SAMRA prep!
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Exam bank q's I can't figure out

Post by digits_ »

Cockpit management system: they probably want to know what systems give you information you can work with, or help in your decision making process. The pressurization system doens't give you any information (except if it stops working, because so will you in that case).

I believe preferred routes start with a waypoint. You have to join an airway at some place, so you'd think that for a preferred route, that starting point would be clearly defined. Could be wrong.

Hook or finger tells you to expect really bumpy weather with lots of wind direction changes. It could indicate a tornado, but it is not guaranteed.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

here's a really interesting one... I've always heard radiation fog happens in 'clear skies with light winds' etc. Well, how about defining WHAT wind range? I'm told the answer is 3-5 knots, but I don't see a source on that in the FTGU or the ACWM

which of the 4 following airports has a higher change of having radiation fog ? the one with wind a) 10-15kt b) 8-10kt c) 3-5 kt d) calm wind.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

"2.The shapes of finger, hook, U-shape and scalloped edges show good indications of strong vertical draft and thus severe hail"

http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/av ... ther-radar

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

telex wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:30 am "2.The shapes of finger, hook, U-shape and scalloped edges show good indications of strong vertical draft and thus severe hail"

http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/av ... ther-radar
yeah I always associated it with hail but apparently this question did not address hail. updrafts, tornadoes etc all seem like possible answers - a hook particularly seems to be related to mesocyclones which are associated with tornadoes. Interesting one to chew on

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

here's yet another:

Clear skies at night, light wind, high pressure and high humidity can create fog by:
A) radiation heating ...
B) advection
C) radiation cooling of air in contact with the earths surface
D) radiation cooling of the air by direct loss of heat to the atmosphere. 

I would think it is C, no? The earth itself is cooled by radiation, which in turn cools the air in contact with it. Can anyone confirm this understanding is correct? Have checked FTGU and the ACWM but want to be sure

Return to “Flight Training”