Tie Down etiquette at a new airport.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Tie Down etiquette at a new airport.

Post by Spinwmts »

Hi, Sorry for this maybe stupid question;

When Flying to a new airport, Can you just taxi and park where ever there is a free spot in the area that is designated as a "Tie Down Area". If its a smaller airport would you call the city up first and ask?

In the past I've always contacted the airport ahead of time to make arrangements, but this weekend if we don't get a lot of rain, I'm planning on hitting up 5-6 airports from Sask-Alberta, either just doing touch n goes or stopping and walking around. I'll be stopping at Medicine Hat and gassing up, then westward to Vulcan AB to check out the SS Enterprise. So I'm wondering how much pre-planning goes into determining where to shutdown. Also, Does the FBO's charge the tie down fees (if any) and do they technically own the "Tie Down Areas" or does the airport?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Tie Down etiquette at a new airport.

Post by photofly »

It varies, airport to airport. Many places big enough to have an FBO will marshal you on the ramp.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Small airports, especially in AB, are almost always fine unless they're listed as PPR. You may just need to pay a fee for staying overnight, although most don't have any fees.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I heard the Star Trek museum moved from Vulcan to Drumheller. I don't even know how you would check on such a rumour but thought I would post. I think the ship is still in Vulcan though. You might want to check out both. Have fun.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:03 pm I heard the Star Trek museum moved from Vulcan to Drumheller. I don't even know how you would check on such a rumour but thought I would post. I think the ship is still in Vulcan though. You might want to check out both. Have fun.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check into that.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Best thing is to call the place up and ask. Give them a heads up that you'll be coming in and transiting for the day or staying overnight. Busy places appreciate the heads up, allows them to prep a tie down or parking spot. Also, many GA friendly airports often waive the ramp fee or even 1st night tie down if you purchase fuel from them.

When I was putting around on cross countries, I'd always call the club/FBOs to ask if they had fuel and if the pumps worked. You'd be surprised, but often, the truck or pump is out of service or there's no fuel and it wasn't NOTAMed. Once, I had a truck break down right in front of me, as he was fuelling the plane next to mine. Thankfully I had enough for the next leg and filled up there. Then, when talking with them, I'd ask where they prefer me to park when I pull up. Some places are indifferent, but others prefer overnighters in one spot, and day transient guys on the apron near the club/FBO.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:03 pm I heard the Star Trek museum moved from Vulcan to Drumheller. I don't even know how you would check on such a rumour but thought I would post. I think the ship is still in Vulcan though. You might want to check out both. Have fun.
That's interesting. ...wonder what will become of the crazy tourist info building, the Spock handpring/statue and all the other stuff.

I spent about 2 months living in Vulcan while working on a gas plant nearby. I actually loved that little town! It's beautiful in the summer and the people are wonderful. The sad thing is, the amazing RAF history of Vulcan was completely overshadowed by the Star Trek stuff. A lot of the locals hate the Star Trek stuff. The cemetery has a lot of military graves and there's some awesome old Barracks buildings that people still live in around the town. The airport is lovely too. I always wanted to fly in there, but never found an opportunity to.

I wandered the streets of Vulcan most evenings after a long day's work. ..such a peaceful, pleasant town in the summer.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

What I can tell you about tie-down etiquette in the winter....If you show up at an airport and there is a nicely cleared spot when everything else is buried in 3 feet of snow, that spot probably belongs to a local! So many times I`d clear out my spot on the apron, go flying and come back to find someone else in my spot!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
CanadianBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanadianBird »

The sad thing is, the amazing RAF history of Vulcan was completely overshadowed by the Star Trek stuff. A lot of the locals hate the Star Trek stuff.
[/quote]

I just finished my PPL, and one of my first flights (once I find a few hours) is to fly over the old CFB Vulcan, and hope to do a few approaches. My Great Uncle was a flight instructor there during WW II, and I can’t think of a better way to honour his legacy, than to fly the same approaches and airspace he did 75 years ago.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I was tempted to buy a hangar that was for sale several years ago at "Kirkcaldy?".

It was only $80,000 but needed some pretty big repairs to the roof. I kind of figured I could not afford to fix it up. Would have been cool though.

The airport at the actual town of Vulcan is not the commonwealth air training school as far as I know, seems like a nice little strip though.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

And most importantly: no matter where you park or tie down, someone will always complain...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

Beefitarian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:26 pm I was tempted to buy a hangar that was for sale several years ago at "Kirkcaldy?".

It was only $80,000 but needed some pretty big repairs to the roof. I kind of figured I could not afford to fix it up. Would have been cool though.

The airport at the actual town of Vulcan is not the commonwealth air training school as far as I know, seems like a nice little strip though.
My friend and I were also looking at one of the hangars in Kirkaldy (The BCATP field) a while back. At the time my friend asked, the asking price was 40k. We went to look at it shortly after the skydive company moved in there, and then the price shot up several fold. And yeah, the cessna sized holes in the roof didn't help.

If you're parking in Medicine Hat, the outdoor parking area parallel to runway 21-03 belongs to the airport and has no reserved spots. There is technically a "daily" parking fee of around $10, but I've had overnight visitors a number of times and they were never billed for it. I park on a different patch of grass once without thinking, near one of the large hangars, and was charged an extravagant amount by what was Integra Air at the time.

I always try to ask a local where to park when I fly in to a new airport. Maple Creek, Bassano, Vulcan, Empress etc. I've always just been told "anywhere is fine."

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Flight Training”