Reception distance for VOR

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Let410
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reception distance for VOR

Post by Let410 »

The formula is
Distance= 1.25×(square root)height of tower

Question: you are at 3800ft, the tower is at 900ft. What is the reception distance?

Two things: first. I have always been taught the formula above. In recent study notes it show 1.23 not 1.25.
Secondly. Sometimes one uses only the aircraft height, sometimes aircraft height and tower height and also the difference in heights

Could someone please clarify for me. I may have missed something.

P.S. sorry about the way the formula was written.
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Reception distance for VOR

Post by daedalusx »

It's 1.23 sqrt of height. And obviously it's the difference between the AC height and the antenna. If you're flying at 10 000' ASL and the Antenna is at 8000' ASL then your reception distance would be 1.23 sqrt*2000

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

1.25 is for company routes off airway to figure out MEA. Adds a bit of a fudge factor.

Let410
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Let410 »

Thanks

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 am It's 1.23 sqrt of height. And obviously it's the difference between the AC height and the antenna. If you're flying at 10 000' ASL and the Antenna is at 8000' ASL then your reception distance would be 1.23 sqrt*2000
Actually it's not obviously the difference between the AC height and the antenna. It depends on what the terrain between the AC and the antenna looks like.

If the antenna is on a hill, and the terrain in between goes down to sea level, then it's actually 1.23 * sqrt (antenna height) + 1.23 * sqrt (AC height). Putting the antenna high on top a hill doesn't decrease the range but increases it - which is why they do it.

Here's a diagram:
hill.png
hill.png (94.33 KiB) Viewed 10036 times
And If the terrain between the antenna and the aircraft is higher than the antenna height, then it's less than the 1.23 * sqrt (AC height - antenna height.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

There's an error in your diagram.

The Earth is flat.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Also, nobody cares.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I suspect the person who wants to get the right answer in their CPAER test cares.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”