Logbook Post-Licensed

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Logbook Post-Licensed

Post by avsteve1 »

Hey all,

So I got licensed fairly recently with a PPL back in August, and I have a question regarding my logbook. Side note, still haven't gotten my Aviation Booklet yet, but I heard you usually get them near 90 days after issue of tempo license.

When I take passengers up into the circuit/or go solo into the circuit, can I still write the Exercise Numbers in my logbook (16,17,18 for circuits) or should I just write something like "Circuits" instead?
I ask because they are called "Exercise Numbers", and I don't know if I should really be writing those because I'm not exactly exercising anything anymore, if you get what I mean.

Just wanted to ask because I've written my past few flights with and without passengers in the circuit as "16,17,18" and am wondering whether or not I should stop that from now on.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Logbook Post-Licensed

Post by photofly »

Actually you can write it any way you like. You don’t have to record what you did on a flight at all, but it’s not a bad idea.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

You're licenced, so they are no longer "exercises", but "flights". I'd log it like, Circuits with xxx. But, it is your log book, so write what ever you'd like. All that really matters is the number of hours.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I tread it like a journal. I write what adventure I took, who I flew with and anything interesting that happened along the way.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I used the exercise numbers for a while after I was licensed, because I was familiar with them at the time and I wanted to remember that I practised those things. I stopped after a while and just make notes instead. The comments are only for your memory, not a regulatory requirement.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The regulation with respect to personal log books is CAR 401.08

Personal Logs
401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2) and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(a) experience acquired in respect of the issuance of the flight crew permit, licence or rating; and

(b) recency.

(2) A personal log that is maintained for the purposes referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) shall contain the holder’s name and the following information in respect of each flight:

(a) the date of the flight;

(b) the type of aircraft and its registration mark;

(c) the flight crew position in which the holder acted;

(d) the flight conditions with respect to day, night, VFR and IFR;

(e) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane or helicopter, the place of departure and the place of arrival;

(f) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane, all of the intermediate take-offs and landings;

(g) the flight time;

(h) in the case of a flight in a glider, the method of launch used for the flight; and

(i) in the case of a flight in a balloon, the method of inflation used for the flight.

(3) No person shall make an entry in a personal log unless the person

(a) is the holder of the log; or

(b) has been authorized to make the entry by the holder of the log.

As long as your log book has at least the information required at para (2) you are good. You may add any additional remarks or information at your discretion as it is your book. As noted by another poster some people use their personal log as a kind of diary. I have been flying for 42 years and I wish I had been more descriptive of some of the flights early in my flying career.

Also there is no regulation as to the format of the personal log. You don't have to buy a commercial log book you can make your own or use an electronic record.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Do you have to keep a personal log of every flight you make after you have a pilots license issued to you?

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

C.W.E. p[quote wrote:
ost_id=1057419 time=1541349680 user_id=57289]
Do you have to keep a personal log of every flight you make after you have a pilots license issued to you?
[/quote]

Yes

401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2)and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(a) experience acquired in respect of the issuance of the flight crew permit, licence or rating; and

(b) recency.

Even if you don't intend to add any new licenses or ratings you still need to keep a logbook to show compliance with the recency requirements. (CAR 401.05)

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Yes

401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2)and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(b) recency.

Even if you don't intend to add any new licenses or ratings you still need to keep a logbook to show compliance with the recency requirements. (CAR 401.05)

Therefore you are required to show proof of recency which is proof of the minimum time to show recency, so I can go out on a long lake and do five touch and goes in about two minutes which fulfils the requirement.

When would a pilot be asked to show recency?

How long a time frame are you allowed to show " proof " of recency after the request?

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

In order to do five touch and goes you have to have acted as PIC of an aircraft within the last five years.

You also need to have your two year recency requirement.

None of this is likely to come up in a ramp check. It’s most likely going to be after an accident when they are determining the experience level of pilot. TC Enforcement, the TSB, and the insurance companies all have a vested interest in determining it.

So I suppose if you don’t have an accident, nothing to worry about.

Lots of pilots were accident free for many years until their first. Sometimes it wasn’t their fault at all.

I maintain a logbook.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

If your only goal is to achieve the absolute minimum required to satisfy the regulations, then one logged flight where you performed the duties of a flight crew member (ie PIC or Copilot on aircraft certified as requiring 2 pilots) every 5 years will suffice. This is assuming you complete the self paced exam every 2 years.

However this is not what the Original Poster was asking as clearly he intends to, like most pilots, maintain a log book which lists every flight.

The regulations do not require that you describe what you did on the flight, however most pilots use the "remarks" column to describe what they did. I would suggest that the unwritten general practice is when training to use the exercise numbers but when you have completed training to use a short form like "Circuits" or "Local West". That is what I do except for aerobatics. When I am practicing my aerobatics I list the maneuvers I did on that flight.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

If your only goal is to achieve the absolute minimum required to satisfy the regulations, then one logged flight where you performed the duties of a flight crew member (ie PIC or Copilot on aircraft certified as requiring 2 pilots) every 5 years will suffice. This is assuming you complete the self paced exam every 2 years.
Is there something wrong or unprofessional about satisfying the regulations and choosing not to do something that is not required by the regulations?

The question was asked by someone relatively new to flying and I was pointing out that you are not required to keep a personal log of all the flying you do.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

avsteve1 congratulations on getting your license.

Now you can concentrate on enjoying your flying and before every flight and before pointing the airplane in a different direction or altitude make sure you have looked ahead in your mind before flying the airplane there.

That will help insure you live to a ripe old age and ageing is why your body wears out, and not because you broke it in an accident in an airplane.

I quit keeping a personal log book many decades ago because saw no good reason to keep one ( I think I quit keeping a personal log book when I had around twenty five thousand hours. )

Now if I want to look back on some point in time and some place I have flown all I do is look at a map of the earth I have and it is easy to remember what a given city or country looked like where I have flown.

Have fun and good luck in the future.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I maintain a logbook.
If I need to show that I am legal with the recency requirements I will go to the aircraft journey log books to show that I am legal.

So far I have never had to, but if I do someday have to I will be able to show recency. Because I will have the required records to show same.

And the required records do not involve keeping a personal log book of every flight I fly.

Return to “Flight Training”