Which heading for an emergency letdown

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Which heading for an emergency letdown

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Pre GPS days I was flying a C 421 out of Victoria and had just broken out on top at 6000 ft when there was a bang and a sharp smell of frying electrics. I turned off the master and alternators and realized almost every circuit breaker in the main and avionics CB panels had popped,

I got ahold of terminal on my hand held and told them I had lost everything. Long story short no VFR anywhere close and my best bet was an approach back to Victoria which was overcast 500 but winds calm. So with much trepidation I pushed in the popped CB for the # 2 Navcom and turned on the master. Nothing bad happened so I asked for no gyro vectors to a straight in on runway 27 with the a 20 mile gate so I could intercept the ILS while still on top. At this point I had the AI, no DG or T&B and pitot static instruments and the ILS on the number 2 CDI.

I blew the gear down and by the time I entered the tops at 6000 I was established on the ILS in a steady descent at a constant airspeed. I found I could use the mag compass as a virtual DI and after a long but uneventful descent broke out and landed. The still air and a conscious attempt to make all control movements smooth and gentle certainly helped with respect to using the mag compass as a heading source.
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

photofly wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:13 am I think he knows that :)
I did but will fully admit that 090-270 headings for emergency let downs were not taught to me during ab intro flying lessons. Despite our most recent squabbles, I appreciate your tone given that when my FMS isn’t doing right that I may very well have to revert to a compass and card. Appriciate the lesson and sound advice.

vcollazo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vcollazo »

Back during WW II they taught that if all you had left was your mag compass and the ball on your T&B you should descend on a 180 heading. Then you reduced power and used rudder to stay on that 180 heading. There would be minimal compass lag and an increasing heading meant you were in a right turn and decreasing a left turn.

Return to “Flight Training”