Samra Saron new exams?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Thevanman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Samra Saron new exams?

Post by Thevanman »

Anyone with some info or insight on the “new” revamped Samra Saron exams that is willing to share anything know that would be great. Wondering if the aerocourse atop course is still relevant to the exams or if there info is going to be out of date? Not looking to be spoon fed here but any help is greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Samra Saron new exams?

Post by 2112 »

Wrote the SARON in Aug 2017 and found the Aerocourse book covered about 90% of what was on the exam. The SAMRA was a different beast and I ended up writing twice with a pass of only 75% the second time around. Aerocourse was fairly helpful for SAMRA but there were quite a few questions on the exam that were not in the book. I found the TC study guide helpful to dial in my studying and although it wasn't pretty I got through it.

Thevanman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thevanman »

Thanks 2112! Have you heard anything about how they changed the exams? I’ve been hearing this lately. Apparently to many people were passing so they made them a bunch harder is what I have been hearing.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Yup, I heard that as well before I wrote. I don't think it was a result of too many people passing but rather someone at TC got wise to all the homemade answer banks that were floating around online. The exams as they are now are passable provided you know the subject matter and are not looking for cues from pre memorized answers in the Aerocourse book. I failed SAMRA the first time around simply because my study methods were lacking and I was not paying attention to the subtle language in the questions themselves. Read The Freaking Question Twice (RTFQ2) and don't rely on just the Aerocourse book and you'll do fine.

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

I wrote both SARON and SAMRA in the past month. At first, I was studying with Sharper Edge ATPL, but there is a lot of stuff that book does not cover. Also lots of mistakes in the book. I ended up buying online ATPL groundschool from pilottraining.ca for $250, and it is much more helpful. Slides for every sections, videos to watch, quiz after each section, 3 practice exam for SARON and 3 for SAMRA. Passed both with 86% so I would say it is worth it and it covers most of the new material on the exams. I never used the Aerocourse book so I can't comment on that.

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

You’ll need to really take your time with the SAMRA exam. Read each word of the question and answer very carefully. In the question / answer, there will be a key piece of info that will give you the answer. The exam is very pedantic. Lots of definitions, very little application of actual weather behaviour. If you study the AeroCourse, and take your time on the exam, you’ll be in a good position to pass. My $0.02

Dash-6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash-6 »

Do you remember what you put for the cockpit management system question?

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

Could you refresh my memory what the question stated?

Dash-6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash-6 »

Anyone know the answer for the following:

Microbursts due to downdrafts-what effects on A/C

A).INCREASE PERFORM ABOVE/BELOW GLIDESLOPE
B). DECREASE PERFORMANCE ABOVE/BELOW GLIDESLOPE
C). NOSE UP ATTITUDE ABOVE/BELOW GLIDESLOPE
D). NOSE DOWN ATTITUDE ABOVE/BELOW GLIDESLOPE

Pressure Gradient is the same, what causes wind to back and decrease?

a).friction due to surface cooling
b). reciprocal effects of winds aloft

Another question I cant find;

Effects of Auto pilot

a) centre of pressure
b) centre of gravity

Return to “Flight Training”