ATPL Prep

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

ATPL Prep

Post by RatMan »

Greetings All,

I am making this post in hopes of helping those who are approaching the SAMRA/SARON. I’ve just finished writing both in one day. A little about me: ex-military pilot, haven’t flown in Canada since December 2010 (rusty on regs, etc), spent the last 10 months flying in Australia (which rules for what country?), 1400TT.

First out of the gate, if INRAT, SAMRA, SARON are in your vocabulary, you need to be thinking AeroCourse, period dot. Be aware that if there are not enough ppl registered for an AeroCourse wknd, the AeroCourse administrators will cancel the course without warning when you are only a few days out. With that, I recommend traveling to a busy centre such as Toronto. I travelled from YYT to YYZ just for the wknd course. Sure it’ll cost you approximately $2000 but it’s money well spent IMHO.

Next, I was rusty, so I gave myself lots of time. I would estimate I spent 4 solid hours per day studying for approximately 6 weeks. It was a solid effort. I bought the AIM, Weather Manual, CAP, Workbook and Groundschool Manual. I’d much rather have something I don’t need, than need something I don’t have. I used the Weather Manual and AIM as cross references only, I didn’t read them cover to cover (some ppl do). I started by reading the Groundschool Manual from cover-to-cover, all 400 and something pages. As I read the Manual, I made notes on my laptop of the things that I thought were important. When I was done, I had 80 type written pages. Overkill? Maybe. Once I’d read the entire Manual, I then tackled the 676 questions in the Workbook. If I didn’t know an answer, I went to Google to correct the deficiency. I averaged maybe 50 questions per day. If I got a question wrong, I made a note of it. Once I had all 676 questions done, I did them again. Once I’d done them the second time, I repeated the process, but did only the questions that I’d gotten wrong. I did all this in the lead up to the actual AeroCourse in YYT. Once at the AeroCourse, it was confirmation of what I’d already learned, and solidification of a few weak areas. Also, the AeroCourse folks will give additional top tips once in the wknd seminar. Once I returned from the AeroCourse, I took a few days and did all 676 questions again. By this time, the questions were going by quickly, maybe 100-150 per day. I booked both exams for the same day, did the SARON in the morning and SAMRA in the afternoon. Easily passed both exams.

Hopefully this helps those who require it. I feel I gave myself the right amount of time. Last tip, if you’re coming up on the exams, book them now. Without a looming deadline, you’ll most likely keep putting off the dreaded study time. Also, if you’re looking at getting on with an airline, write the exams first. Last thing you want to do is be learning a new aircraft, new procedures, new etc, and having to study for the daunting ATPL exams.

Overall, for me, the exams weren’t as scary in real life as I expected them to be.

Best of luck and hopefully this helps you a little.

RatMan
---------- ADS -----------

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: ATPL Prep

Post by flyingcanuck »

thanks for the great write up! Definitely helps

@flywithludo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by @flywithludo »

Hello RatMan,

thanks for your post!
Could you give me more details about the Groundschool Manual and Workbook you used?
Are you talking about the . books?

Thanks!

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

Ludo! :)

The Groundschool Manual and Workbook are both provided by the AeroCourse folks when you sign up for their wknd seminar. The books are currently in the form of the 5th edition. The books are well worth the cost, and IMHO, those two books alone will get you through the exams (assuming you know the material behind the questions, not just memorizing answers based on trigger phrasing of a question).

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Is their ATPL Ground School manual available to purchase without taking their seminar, or do you have to pay full fare for the seminar before you can get this reference. Also - I have the 5th edition of their ATPL workbook but it says on the inside cover that it was printed in 2010, is this still considered current for the latest ATPL exams, in your opinion, or would one have to take their full seminar so as to get all of the most current info?

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

455TT...

You can buy the Workbook on its own for $65.95 from the AeroCourse website. The 2010 book (5th edition) is the one you’re looking for. The Groundschool Manual, however, only comes when you pay to attend the seminar. The seminar is $645. I know we’re all starving pilots, but I think it’s money well spent. You’ll get extra tidbits of info at the course, which I think got me above the pass threshold for the exams.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

455tt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 pm The books are well worth the cost, and IMHO, those two books alone will get you through the exams
So, if you can get the 2 books, you don't need the seminar, in your view, but clearly the trick is getting the second book, which is unpublished, and which you can only get if you pay for the full seminar.

Interesting conundrum this business establishes for their potential customers.

Gonzodriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gonzodriver »

455tt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 pm Is their ATPL Ground School manual available to purchase without taking their seminar, or do you have to pay full fare for the seminar before you can get this reference. Also - I have the 5th edition of their ATPL workbook but it says on the inside cover that it was printed in 2010, is this still considered current for the latest ATPL exams, in your opinion, or would one have to take their full seminar so as to get all of the most current info?
I know the cost of the Aero course seems expensive. However, aside from getting the books the course is well worth it in my opinion. The instructor had a way of explaining complex things in a way that makes it easier to understand and remember during the exam. They also have more up to date info than just reading through the books. Just my opinion.

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

Aerocourse obviously comes highly recommended. It seems like a good way to get it done in the least amount of time. The way I did it was to gather as much material as I could based on the TC study and reference guides(Aim RAC, IPM, etc.) & study. Do some practice exams. Take exams. I passed them first try. Using a pencil, a radio shack calculator (with square root function!) and a plastic E6-B. That's it... The yr was 2012.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

hey everybody,

so i just wrote the Saron and I had absolutely no questions on CP,PNR ,SGR , SAR or even %MAC. I found it odd as I was ready for them. Did anybody got these on the SAMRA ? as well as some other charts on take off distance/landing .

ill be ready for those again anyway

thank you and good luck to all .

mahmoudmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mahmoudmer »

RatMan wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am Greetings All,

I am making this post in hopes of helping those who are approaching the SAMRA/SARON. I’ve just finished writing both in one day. A little about me: ex-military pilot, haven’t flown in Canada since December 2010 (rusty on regs, etc), spent the last 10 months flying in Australia (which rules for what country?), 1400TT.

First out of the gate, if INRAT, SAMRA, SARON are in your vocabulary, you need to be thinking AeroCourse, period dot. Be aware that if there are not enough ppl registered for an AeroCourse wknd, the AeroCourse administrators will cancel the course without warning when you are only a few days out. With that, I recommend traveling to a busy centre such as Toronto. I travelled from YYT to YYZ just for the wknd course. Sure it’ll cost you approximately $2000 but it’s money well spent IMHO.

Next, I was rusty, so I gave myself lots of time. I would estimate I spent 4 solid hours per day studying for approximately 6 weeks. It was a solid effort. I bought the AIM, Weather Manual, CAP, Workbook and Groundschool Manual. I’d much rather have something I don’t need, than need something I don’t have. I used the Weather Manual and AIM as cross references only, I didn’t read them cover to cover (some ppl do). I started by reading the Groundschool Manual from cover-to-cover, all 400 and something pages. As I read the Manual, I made notes on my laptop of the things that I thought were important. When I was done, I had 80 type written pages. Overkill? Maybe. Once I’d read the entire Manual, I then tackled the 676 questions in the Workbook. If I didn’t know an answer, I went to Google to correct the deficiency. I averaged maybe 50 questions per day. If I got a question wrong, I made a note of it. Once I had all 676 questions done, I did them again. Once I’d done them the second time, I repeated the process, but did only the questions that I’d gotten wrong. I did all this in the lead up to the actual AeroCourse in YYT. Once at the AeroCourse, it was confirmation of what I’d already learned, and solidification of a few weak areas. Also, the AeroCourse folks will give additional top tips once in the wknd seminar. Once I returned from the AeroCourse, I took a few days and did all 676 questions again. By this time, the questions were going by quickly, maybe 100-150 per day. I booked both exams for the same day, did the SARON in the morning and SAMRA in the afternoon. Easily passed both exams.

Hopefully this helps those who require it. I feel I gave myself the right amount of time. Last tip, if you’re coming up on the exams, book them now. Without a looming deadline, you’ll most likely keep putting off the dreaded study time. Also, if you’re looking at getting on with an airline, write the exams first. Last thing you want to do is be learning a new aircraft, new procedures, new etc, and having to study for the daunting ATPL exams.

Overall, for me, the exams weren’t as scary in real life as I expected them to be.

Best of luck and hopefully this helps you a little.

RatMan
Hi Ratman,

Thanks for your post! Very helpful as I just bought the workbook and will probably attend the seminar on your recommendation. You mentioned that you had taken notes while you were studying of things your thought of as important. Would it be possible to publish or send me a copy of these notes to help me study? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck!

oxmord
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by oxmord »

Hi,
AEROCOURSE ATPL 5th Edition Question 98??
I need help plz

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Which Q. 98 are you referring to, there are several. What section in the text is the question from?

Return to “Flight Training”