need info for training cost in Victoria flying club vs Harvs air

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

csair
Rank 0
Rank 0

need info for training cost in Victoria flying club vs Harvs air

Post by csair »

hi,all
I'm looking for a school for full time training to get my CPL,ME&IFR,INSTRUCTOR RATING. Will not consider Moncton due to the weather limit.

I checked the websit of harvsair throughly, everything is clear. but I heard that they gonna rise the price early this year.

For the Victoria flying club, they have 10 newer cessna172S , 172S or 172P. The rate they mentioned is atractive. $158 solo. if put in a $500 deposit,you will get a block time rat $137.
BUT!, Here comes the question: they do have a fuel surcharge. how do they caculate the price?what's the exact current rate? is there anyone who know the details? and can this block time be used for dual traning?
Seems every school is busy now, Victoria flying club says:NO BOOKING?NO PROBLEM!JUST DROP BY!
Is that heard too good to be true?

Any opinion is welcomed and appreciated.

Best Regards!
---------- ADS -----------

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: need info for training cost in Victoria flying club vs Harvs air

Post by AirDoan »

This info is a year old, but the fuel surcharge doesn't amount to much. I did a check out a year ago (today actually) at VFR. The surcharge for a 1.1 flight was $1.41.

They are great people down there. I finished my CPL with Iain and Sean after I had a less than ideal experience elsewhere. They are super busy for sure but there is a plane available most of the time. That said the online booking system is easy enough to use for booking planes and instructors. Their 172Ss are well maintained as they have quite a few higher end private members who fly as well. Avionics are decent. Leather seats. Clean ready to go when you get there. I didn't get a chance to do my group 1 there but I hope to when I am ready. I ended up pipelining and it wasn't necessary.

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Oh and block time....not for dual. Only solo / time building.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Ask what their waiting list is like. I heard that VFC has a 1 year waiting list at the moment.

csair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by csair »

Thanks AirDoan and CpnCrunch. Really appreciated. Now vfc is my first choice . One year waiting list? That’s too crazy

mrwild
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrwild »

VFC even stopped their waitlist since it went crazy long.

Best_Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Best_Pilot »

Gents,
Currently Harv's and VFC both are not accepting any new students.

Admission full...long waiting.

Just for your info. If anything changes, pls mention in the forum for others to get information.

Cheers.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

The Manitoba area has some of the best weather year round for flying. Clear skies in the winter (cold) and usually great summers. Cost of living in Manitoba is far cheaper than Victoria BC. Plus a few good 703/704/705 companies in Winnipeg to apply to while you're working on your Instructor if you want to go that route these days with all the movement. I did all my training at CYWG and CYAV and the weather was great. Winnipeg/Manitoba may not be as nice as Victoria, but its cheaper and a lot of great people live there. Lots of aviation based out of there as well (as compared to CYYJ).

Return to “Flight Training”