Overnight rates at your school's?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Overnight rates at your school's?

Post by Laythe »

Hey was just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this anywhere else. I'm just moving on to CPL and started looking at the overnight rates, before I joined the school of you took the plane for a trip over 3 hours you could keep it for the day, that number was then moved to five when I joined the school, and now 7 months later it is now 8 hours!! I have no idea if this is just my school as we are getting the raw end or what??

This is in Alberta if that helps.
---------- ADS -----------

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Overnight rates at your school's?

Post by A346Dude »

So does 8 hours give you 2 full days (ie. pick it up Monday morning and drop it off Tuesday evening)? If so, that’s basically 4 hours minimum per day which isn’t outrageous. At my school, it’s 3 Hobbs hours minimum for a full day rental.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Someone is trying to tell you something...

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

This is per day. 8 hours is charged for each day you keep it if you fly it or not. The reason I'm wondering is because all of my classmates and I were always talking about overnight trips then we heard about the changes.

After talking to the previous class about some of the stuff they got to do and how much fun they had with overnights it got me pretty down that we aren't going to be able to do any of that. Im wondering if this is just changing industry or if SATC is just seeing how far they can push it.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I'm guessing here, but due to the instructor shortage and consequent waiting lines, schools probably want to take full advantage of the plane and instructor once they find one. If they can do 8 hours of circuit flying, they'll make more money than when they give it to you for overnights where you could get stuck etc.

It's a shame though, because it is those longer solo trips that teach you the most.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

The school I trained at was in Alberta and it required a 3 hour hobbs per day, but that was waived if you were grounded overnight for unforeseen circumstances (weather mostly). I can understand schools wanting to have their resources gaining as much revenue as possible, but 8 hours a day is pretty extreme.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

That being said, once you have your PPL, it's pretty easy to go rent a plane at another school with more relaxed overnight rules to do the longer trips.

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

That's what I was thinking, unfortunately I'm in one of those non traditional courses which pretty much takes you from nothing to instructor. It was supposed to be 14 months (I know fat chance) but the payments were broken up as such. 87k for nothing to instructor, our next payment is coming up and I'm wondering if I may want to switch schools and go traditional, I mean we are paying a shit ton you'd think we could at least have the plans overnight without having to pay for an extra 8 hours. At least with 3 you can take the plan spend the day and fly it back without getting charged for it sitting.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Talk to the CFI/manager. Make sure you are ready to walk if necessary, and tell him you want to do overnight trips for the minimum of 3/4 hours a day like it was when you signed up. You're the one holding the money. If you signed a contract, read it in detail and see what it says.

Return to “Flight Training”