Confed drops IFR

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Confed drops IFR

Post by Luke Spectre »

Good news, I got into confed. Bad news, they aren't offering cat 3 IFR for the 2019 class.

I know how most of you love hating Sault, but they offer multi IFR. Not sure what to do know. Does anyone know how far behind Sault is at the moment?

Let me know what you think.
---------- ADS -----------

cloudskimmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Confed drops IFR

Post by cloudskimmer »

Just go to Cornwall or some where that does Group 1 Multi IFRs and get it done. Sure it'll cost you a couple grand but you save money from not having to pay for another year of tuition plus other costs and you'll get out into the work force a year sooner earning an income.

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

How much would that cost? Now I'd need to do all the IFR time 40 hours + multi

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

I heard that they will offer ground school + maybe some flight time, and then there was going to be a deal to get finish it off at a partner school somewhere. You might wanna ask your contact at Confed.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

FL_CH wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:52 pm I heard that they will offer ground school + maybe some flight time, and then there was going to be a deal to get finish it off at a partner school somewhere. You might wanna ask your contact at Confed.
Any idea why they dropped it?

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

No idea, maybe they figured why bother, all of our students go for MIFR anyway. I really don't know, their airplanes are pretty well equipped, some with G1000, many with GNS650s...

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

How much would that cost? Now I'd need to do all the IFR time 40 hours + multi

Really? I am fairly confident that is not the case.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

FL_CH wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:49 pm No idea, maybe they figured why bother, all of our students go for MIFR anyway. I really don't know, their airplanes are pretty well equipped, some with G1000, many with GNS650s...
Don't you need single IFR for the upgrade to multi? You need single first, no?

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

No you need a Multi Engine Raiting, and then can do a Multi IFR flight test. Essentially adding IFR to aircraft you already can fly VFR. Think of IFR as a skill set you add to aircraft you can fly already.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

What would it cost to do IFR seperatly?

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

FL_CH wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:49 pm No idea, maybe they figured why bother, all of our students go for MIFR anyway. I really don't know, their airplanes are pretty well equipped, some with G1000, many with GNS650s...
Doesn't it cost more to go from no IFR to multi IFR vs. single IFR to multi IFR?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Good grief guys.
Spend some time reading regulations.

You do not need a group 3 before the multi. IFR
You do not need a multi rating before you do the multi ifr. You do need to take two rides though, last I heard. But you can do the training concurrently..
you can take credit for IF training previously done on CZpL/ night/ and or PPL

Sim training,plus about 15 hours on the aircraft including two rides for multi and multi IFR.

Take sometime to actually read the regs. My info is not current, and it takes zero competency or knowledge to post. There just might be an FTU wanting to interpret the regs a bit different to ...ah....well you know.....

Last edited by trey kule on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accident speculation:
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I wouldn't expect a pre-ppl person to be able to navigate the CARs and understand what they're reading

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

200 hour wonder is not a ppl person.
And the OP is discussing regulations regarding the IF rating. He is worried they are dropping it from their curriculum. Maybe its time to learn what the CARs have to say...

And I am fairly certainhe was getting some incorrect advice.

I forget sometimes. This is the age of the spoon fed, social net work answer seeking generation.

No need to read.

Accident speculation:
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I was referring to the OP, Luke Spectre. I assume that he is a candidate with limited prior aviation knowledge/experience applying to both Sault and Confed.

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm I was referring to the OP, Luke Spectre. I assume that he is a candidate with limited prior aviation knowledge/experience applying to both Sault and Confed.
You assume correct.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Group 3 IFR is basically useless if you're looking to get a job in IFR operations.

99.9% of the IFR jobs are in twins... or they have a Caravan and a Navajo so you better come prepared with a multi rating.

You can do your multi and multi IFR training concurrently, but the multi engine endorsement is a separate ride before the MIFR ride IIRC. Remember a group 1 gives you an IFR on all aeroplanes, you don't need the other groups...

Anyway, I don't know about the colleges and what they're offering, but I wouldn't go to a school that wasn't preparing me to get a job in the field... let alone spend a few years doing classes and missing the opportunities now...

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

altiplano wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm Group 3 IFR is basically useless if you're looking to get a job in IFR operations.

Remember a group 1 gives you an IFR on all aeroplanes, you don't need the other groups...
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. But the multi check has no flight time requirements, if you have cat 3 and you get multi check do you now have cat 1? Or do you need to start the IFR over?

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

Luke Spectre wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm Group 3 IFR is basically useless if you're looking to get a job in IFR operations.

Remember a group 1 gives you an IFR on all aeroplanes, you don't need the other groups...
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. But the multi check has no flight time requirements, if you have cat 3 and you get multi check do you now have cat 1? Or do you need to start the IFR over?
Depending on your situation, if you look at the costs of getting your IFR rating on a single to acquire a group 3 and then do a multi rating with a multi flight test as well as a subsequent flight test for your group 1, you MAY save a few dollars. But you probably would be safer and get better experience doing your multi rating, flight test and then finish off the group 1 in the multi.

If you have a group 3 and want to move up to a group 1, you don’t get it just from a multi checkout. Two separate flight tests.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Luke Spectre wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 am

It's another ride for the group 1 on top of your multi ride.

Doing a multi ride may not have any flight time requirements, but you aren't going to pass a multi ride without some training. Nor are you going to pass a group 1 ride without some training, no matter if you have a group 3. Might as well do it together, seems to me that's the way everyone did it...

Return to “Flight Training”