Brampton Flight Center or Ottawa Aviation Services

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

jinxer226
Rank 1
Rank 1

Brampton Flight Center or Ottawa Aviation Services

Post by jinxer226 »

Hello, I'm trying to compare the IATPL courses at both these schools. I would love to hear people's opinions and experiences from both these schools. What did you like/dislike about them? How much did it cost you? Where did you get hired after graduating? Cost of rent in both cities? Any information is helpful. Thank you in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

WickeDolphin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Brampton Flight Center or Ottawa Aviation Services

Post by WickeDolphin »

I cannot speak for BFC. I'm at OAS and I like it so far. The rental rates are around 140/hr for a plane. Regarding the flying part, I've heard it can be hard at BFC to get scheduled, while at OAS everything seems co-ordinated. Plus the professors are always available for any help. If you have any specific questions, DM me.

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

WickeDolphin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:36 am I cannot speak for BFC. I'm at OAS and I like it so far. The rental rates are around 140/hr for a plane. Regarding the flying part, I've heard it can be hard at BFC to get scheduled, while at OAS everything seems co-ordinated. Plus the professors are always available for any help. If you have any specific questions, DM me.
"The rental rates are around 140/hr for a plane." wet? 172?

kilo3bravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilo3bravo »

I completed my PPL at OAS back in 2009; it was a great community.

At the time they had strong, experienced instructors - although a majority of my learning came from speaking/studying with fellow students. I've been an instructor now for almost ten years - and the best advice i can give is that your quality of learning depends on how much time you spend studying. Use your instructor for depth of understanding, dig deep on topics during your ground briefings, and learn how each lesson applies to everyday flying. Tips and tricks are handy if you understand why they are tips and tricks. Don't just memorize power settings and airspeeds.

The transit commute was a bit of a pain (living in byward market). Finished at around 60 hours total time on a part time schedule. Others I know were at around 70-80. The training syllabus is a little redundant (some lessons repeated themselves), but they produce good pilots. The Diamonds stick and rudder controls made transitioning to traditional yoke a bit of a learning curve, but they were fun aircraft.

Memorize the Flight Training Manual and From the Ground Up. Get your hands on all the TC Human Factors guides. After your PPL look at the Advanced Pilot Flight Manual by Kershner; Mechanics of Flight by AC Kermode; Mountain Flying Bible Sparky Imeson. These are great reference books.

Return to “Flight Training”