Don't block the pumps

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Don't block the pumps

Post by pelmet »

I flew into an airport the other day with a Rotax powered aircraft. After having a nice lunch, it was time to fuel up at the Mogas pump. But there was a Diamond aircraft already fueling up. No problem, we will just wait until he is done. Once he finished fueling and got back in the aircraft, I started up and taxied in behind him. His engine was started but it took a good five minutes before taxiing away.

Overall, not a big deal but if I am at the pumps, I try to look around and see if there is another aircraft waiting to get into the pumps instead of doing all of my post start checks at the pumps. And seeing as one frequently cannot see all around them, I usually try to start up, taxi clear and then do my post start checks.

Obviously, if there is a good reason to stay in place, then stay in place until safe to taxi but as a general idea, I think it is good to ensure that you are not blocking someone from the fueling station and if you can't confirm this, then taxi clear. And remember, someone could be patiently waiting for you with their engine not started yet until you are clear.
---------- ADS -----------

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Don't block the pumps

Post by Chris M »

I usually push/pull the plane away from the pumps if anyone else is waiting or if there are a number of parked planes behind me. Quicker than starting, don't feel so rushed, and no chance of sand blasting anyone. Pumps are a high pedestrian area and I'd rather keep spinning props far away from soft and squishy humans.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Did he have a glass cockpit? Some/most glass cockpits have a specified timeframe after start up that you have to remain stationary to initialize the gyros.

He could of course also tow himself out of the way if he needed a lot of time. Or it could have been a student on one of his first cross countries who's nervous.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Just call the truck, done.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Just call the truck, done.
I tried that, but when I told them my address, they said no.

A glass cockpit plane would like to be stationary for alignment, but if it is better to taxi, then you can do that, as long as you allow it stationary somewhere long enough before takeoff. Off this topic, but we installed a G500 in the 182 amphib, and it wanted to be stationary before takeoff. Frustrated by this, I took a visiting Garmin rep for his first floatplane flight. I shut right down in the middle of the lake. When I turned the master back on, the G500 asked to be stationary. As we bobbed in the lake, I asked the Garmin rep what he proposed for this. With a blank look, he said "we never thought of that...". The G500 still aligned fine on the water.

In general, yeah, it's nice if you can do your most to clear the pumps without delay....

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am Did he have a glass cockpit? Some/most glass cockpits have a specified timeframe after start up that you have to remain stationary to initialize the gyros.

He could of course also tow himself out of the way if he needed a lot of time. Or it could have been a student on one of his first cross countries who's nervous.
Not sure about the cockpit. Like I said, if there is a need to remain stationary, by all means do it(or physically move the aircraft if it is a reasonable option) but if not, then I believe that it is a good idea to taxi clear if it is not obvious that no one is/could be waiting for your spot. They could have a timeline to meet.

Could be a student. Hopefully a keen student who reads threads like this and takes it into consideration, if not already done.

Thanks

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Could have been a student meticulously going through his pre-taxi checklist... making sure everything is ready before he moves. Most of the students I've flown with don't have the greatest situational awareness when it comes to operations on the ground at the beginning of their training.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

youhavecontrol wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:15 pm Could have been a student meticulously going through his pre-taxi checklist... making sure everything is ready before he moves. Most of the students I've flown with don't have the greatest situational awareness when it comes to operations on the ground at the beginning of their training.
Thanks,

That is why I like to make a post in a place like this. It gets read and hopefully helps....or maybe instructors will mention this if the situation arises. Not a safety issue, just a courtesy if safe to do so.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

I always pull my plane away from the pumps by hand. Thanks to a bad ($$$) experience last year.

...laura

Return to “Flight Training”