Elevator position for tailwind in taildragger

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Elevator position for tailwind in taildragger

Post by pelmet »

Do you position the elevator fully nose down or more towards neutral when taxiing with a 'significant' tailwind in a light taildragger. Why?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Elevator position for tailwind in taildragger

Post by photofly »

If you stand by the tail of any piston single with a regular horizontal stabilizer, with the prop turning, which way is your hair blown? Does it depend on the wind direction?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

What engages/disengages the tailwheel lock on the plane, if installed? Is there risk of the elevators' trailing edges contacting things on the ground? Are you jockeying the power a whole bunch? Etc...

Not sure there's going to be a one-size-fits-all answer on this one.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm If you stand by the tail of any piston single with a regular horizontal stabilizer, with the prop turning, which way is your hair blown? Does it depend on the wind direction?
What hair?

Seriously though, it depends on the wind direction and speed. My piston single at idle will not "overpower" some of the gusty winds we get at YYJ.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

For my taildragger, the elevator is full down at all times on the ground, other than run up, when I begin to ready for lift off, and at touchdown. But, that would not be the case for many other taildraggers.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

In deep snow I just let the elevator trail along :smt040

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

photofly wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm If you stand by the tail of any piston single with a regular horizontal stabilizer, with the prop turning, which way is your hair blown? Does it depend on the wind direction?
He mentioned significant tailwind and a light taildragger. Therfore, assume a 20kt tailwind and I'm sure it will overpower the prop wash over the tail at taxi speeds.

I guess I should write something here.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I have read a couple of different articles recently about this. One said elevator full down. Another said neutral because prop blast over full down elevator can lead to a situation where the tail is lifted, I suppose depending on overall circumstances.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:14 pm Another said neutral because prop blast over full down elevator can lead to a situation where the tail is lifted, I suppose depending on overall circumstances.
Somebody somewhere is missing the point.

If the tail is lifted, it's because the prop blast blows past the tail in the fore-to-aft direction, whatever the wind is doing. In which case, why pussy about with "neutral" aileron? Stick back, to keep the tail down, just like in a headwind.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

The following is from AOPA:

Taxiing Technique

Taxiing in a crosswind requires additional control inputs to keep the airplane's tires well planted and, in a strong crosswind, to prevent a wing or the tail of the airplane from being lifted by the wind. It can be confusing remembering which way the ailerons should be positioned during a crosswind taxi, but this memory aid may help: When you hold the yoke, your thumb points up; when the wind is coming from in front and to one side (a quartering headwind), point your thumbs into the wind. When the wind is coming from behind, point your thumb away from the wind. So, for instance, if the wind is coming from the left rear ( quartering tailwind), deflect the yoke to the right (thumb points right and away from the wind).

To remember the elevator inputs during a crosswind taxi, remember that when taxiing downwind (in the same direction as the wind is blowing), the elevator should be down. When taxiing upwind, the elevator should be neutral (for tricycle gear airplanes) or up (for tailwheel airplanes). Watch the movement of wind socks, flags, grass, etc., as you taxi, and change control inputs appropriately as your taxi direction changes.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:47 pmSomebody somewhere is missing the point.

If the tail is lifted, it's because the prop blast blows past the tail in the fore-to-aft direction, whatever the wind is doing. In which case, why pussy about with "neutral" aileron? Stick back, to keep the tail down, just like in a headwind.
It's you who's missing the point. When the stick is full aft, the elevator tip is above the hinge line on my (and i'd guess most) tailwheel aircraft. If the wind is blowing from the front, yes, that will keep the tail down. But if a gust blows up from the back, it can catch the elevator and lift the tail. I've been there, it's no fun.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Schooner69A wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:13 pm The following is from AOPA:

Taxiing Technique ...

When the wind is coming from behind
It doesn't matter where the advice is from. It has to make sense on its own merits.
With the propellor turning, I don't believe the wind at the horizontal stabilizer is ever "from behind".

Still, there's no point arguing about a factual matter. I will tape some tufts to the stabilizer, and go and taxi around in a wind. Some photos or video will show the tufts pointing aft (in which case back stick to keep the tail down) or pointing forward, in which case forward stick to keep the tail down.
AirFrame wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:40 am It's you who's missing the point. When the stick is full aft, the elevator tip is above the hinge line on my (and i'd guess most) tailwheel aircraft. If the wind is blowing from the front, yes, that will keep the tail down. But if a gust blows up from the back, it can catch the elevator and lift the tail. I've been there, it's no fun.
The geometry isn't relevant - it's "just" an airfoil in an airflow - that airflow being in one direction or the other. Move the elevator to change the shape of the airfoil.

What is your control response to the tail lifting up in a gust from the rear?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

There’s a very easy way to tell where the wind is coming from in the localized area around each control.

If the controls feel normal and require progressive force to move, they are in headwind. If they are light and snappy in your hands, you have a tail wind. If you can’t tell, there isn’t enough wind to be concerned with.

There are indeed times when there is strong enough tail wind and insufficient propwash to put a headwind over the tail. One must also be prepared for gusts.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

When taxiing upwind, the elevator should be neutral (for tricycle gear airplanes) or up (for tailwheel airplanes).
Funny, for my tricycle and taildragger, it's exactly the opposite! So best to know your type.
If the controls feel normal and require progressive force to move, they are in headwind. If they are light and snappy in your hands, you have a tail wind. If you can’t tell, there isn’t enough wind to be concerned with.
I like this answer the best - fly the plane, even on the ground!

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:30 amIt doesn't matter where the advice is from. It has to make sense on its own merits.
With the propellor turning, I don't believe the wind at the horizontal stabilizer is ever "from behind".
Well, I know from first-hand experience (both in the plane and standing behind one) that the wind indeed can blow "from behind."
What is your control response to the tail lifting up in a gust from the rear?
Highly dependent on how far the tail has come up before you catch it... If the tail isn't moving very fast and hasn't reached horizontal, you can push the stick forward and the wind will put the tail back on the ground. Or you can release your brakes and add a little power and hope you can add enough wind from the front to make the elevator effective again.

fleetcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fleetcanuck »

When we bought our Fleet Canuck we discovered it had been in nine reportable accidents in the previous ten years at a flying club. We found that in at least one of them it had been flipped over by a tailwind while the stick was held in the traditional nose up position. As the aeroplane has a bit more experience than I do, I taxi with the stick nose down if there is a suitable tailwind. Old fashioned airmanship should be enough to tell the pilot when to make the transition.

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

fleetcanuck wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:01 am When we bought our Fleet Canuck we discovered it had been in nine reportable accidents in the previous ten years at a flying club. We found that in at least one of them it had been flipped over by a tailwind while the stick was held in the traditional nose up position. As the aeroplane has a bit more experience than I do, I taxi with the stick nose down if there is a suitable tailwind. Old fashioned airmanship should be enough to tell the pilot when to make the transition.
You must own ENO.

My advice is experiment. If you do something and it makes it worse, Undo what you just did and you have your answer. it's not rocket appliance.

fleetcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fleetcanuck »

It is not ENO. It came from out west.

Return to “Flight Training”