actual Ifr for flight training purposes

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pkofman1
Rank 1
Rank 1

actual Ifr for flight training purposes

Post by pkofman1 »

If my safety pilot/ instructor has a valid Ifr ticket, is a cfi and flies right seat, can we file IFR on his ticket
We will Ifr on his ticket ( obviously he is with me but right seat )
Can I do this legally here and in the U.S with him

I need to make a few trips
Can I also count them as training ?
A few of these trips may be into the US N.E

Thoughts
Peter
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: actual Ifr for flight training purposes

Post by iflyforpie »

Should be no problem.

I filed IFR for much of my training with my instructor.

The thing is unless you’re wearing foggles or it’s all in actual IMC it’s not going to count for much towards your training. Just filing IFR doesn’t cut it, because in reality very little (about 10% averaged over hundreds of hours) of IFR flying is in IMC conditions.

It’s also worth to note that if you’re going to log it as training it should be training. You’re probably not going to be simulating engine or equipment failures or doing holds or circling approaches during your trip. Make sure that this doesn’t displace meat and potatoes training for your ride.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: actual Ifr for flight training purposes

Post by photofly »

You don't say where you are. All airports within 100NM of CYYZ require you to book a slot for IFR training approaches and holds with Toronto TMU before you file. Details in the CFS.

A subtlety that nobody talks about is that the certification requirements for various bits of IFR equipment need them to be within a certain angle of the pilot's centreline. Does the aircraft have an attitude indicator and HSI etc on the right side, too? If the only qualified pilot is sitting in the right seat these requirements are not going to be met using only the left side of the panel. I'm not saying it's not allowed (I did it), but I don't know how that squares up. Hand flying in actual IMC with the instruments across the other side of the panel is uncomfortable, and taking control and recovering from an unusual attitude in that situation even more so. So the PIC had better be very confident in his own and your aircraft control abilities.
It’s also worth to note that if you’re going to log it as training it should be training.
Amen to that.

The sort of preparation you should put in to get the most out of a training flight is generally incompatible with making a trip because you need to be somewhere at a certain time on a certain day. You need to be focused on learning, before, during and after the flight, and not on whatever the reason for the trip is.

There's a reason really rich people employ professional flight crew to fly them places they need to be.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”