CPL Air work

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

CPL Air work

Post by ShawnR »

Anyone here doing the CPL flight training?

I completed the written last summer and wanted to be completed (CPL test) by this June. Due to schedule conflicts and weather, it is taking longer than I hoped. What is a reasonable expectation? I am wondering what it could take, ie, if I went to wpg for a couple stints.

I have 350+ hours, a few years of bad habits to break, but a few cross countries done. Need most of the IFR and night. What is reasonable?

Absolutely no problems with the instructor. He is great! Just my self imposed time line that I would like to meet. Wondering if they are realistic for a part time student....?

Thanks
Shawn
---------- ADS -----------

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: CPL Air work

Post by DCL415 »

With your hours it shouldn't be a problem, just if things get in the middle and you have to push your deadline it is not a big deal. I did mine last june.
To get rid of bad habits I recommend chair flying. I hadn't flown in months before I had to do my last dual and a solo before my rec flight (I am in a college program, so I get what's in the book) and between chair flying and my instructor I made it through.
I hope this helps

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: CPL Air work

Post by ShawnR »

I had a good coffee chat with my instructor. He is a great guy and I think my expressing my concern and seriousness of my (self imposed) deadline, was good. We decided to get another instructor to do my night rating (takes the time pressure off of him) as it is not part of the exam. My current instructor will continue with the rest and we both have a better idea of what we need to do. He thinks we can do it, although I am going to be busy! I need to pick up my solo practice, and yes, chair flying. We are starting the IFR part now. I am excited again for the training. Having good communication is key to a good student/instructor relationship.

Thanks for the reply DCL415. Chair flying and sim for the IFR will certainly help me. It will be busy for the next couple of months. Hopefully, no weather or aircraft issues arise.

Cheers,
Shawn

Return to “Flight Training”