IFR Written Exam

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

golecchr
Rank 1
Rank 1

IFR Written Exam

Post by golecchr »

Hi everyone, I am nearing the completion of my intrument rating, and I’ve been told I cannot continue my flight training until I have passed the INRAT. I have taken the weekend Aercourse classes, and I have found that to be a lot of information to process in just 3 days. From what I have heard, the INRAT is a tricky exam. Can anyone offer any tips, advice, or effective studying strategies for my studying? Maybe certain questions that they found difficult?I have a few of the books such as the Aeroucourse workbook, sharper’s edge and the CAPGEN.

Any information would be a great help!

Have a great weekend everyone:)
---------- ADS -----------

Tubkal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: IFR Written Exam

Post by Tubkal »

I recommend going through the CAP GEN, get used to read and understand some of the stuff in the IAP charts. Buy the Harvs Air course and do it from A to Z. You will feel that it’s too much, specially when many of the sections are CPL stuff. They will over prepare you, but it’s just enough to get the minimum of 70%. Get the Instrument Procedures Manual, a must for me. It’s pretty much the FTGU for IFR flying. Of course read the AIM and the pertinent sections. Stuff that you must know for your test:

- Read and UNDERSTAND aviation weather products (GFAs, TAF/METAR, PIREPs, AIRMETs SIGMETs, upper wind charts, surface analysis charts...)

- Review meteorology, especially the nasty stuff that you will encounter in IMC (icing, TS, WS...)

- NDB/VOR interceptions and all that cool stuff.

- IFR related air law. Very important. They will trick you at least once because it takes time to get all the intricacies... Expect questions like ‘what would you do in this situation?’ They will look easy at first but just take a breath and analyze the question and each answer before answering.

- Of course, you should be able to plan an IFR XC, easier than VFR in my opinion. Be able to determine alternates, GRAVE IN YOUR HEART the alternate standard minima table. Expect a cold temp correction question

- Relax, you will have 3 hours to answer 50 questions. Don’t rush and try to use the full 3 hours redoing the test at least twice. You will be surprised of how many answers you will get wrong the first time.

Good luck, IFR flying is fun

-

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

The cram courses like the Aerocourse or IFR Pro should be the last step. These course are designed to help you pass the exam and not necessarily to learn the material.

Where these courses are available, the respective Transport Canada exams should be taken the day after (a few days at most) before all the information that was stuffed in your brain falls out.

Glenn

ausbtav
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ausbtav »

Based on my experience, the Aerocourse workbook is very representative of the type and format of the questions on the actual exam (they kinda try to trick you). What I did was work my way through the entire Aerocourse workbook several times, making sure if I got a question wrong I understood why exactly and studied the underlying material. Some of the visibility and RVOP/LVOP stuff always tricked me up but now I know it like the back of my hand.

I wrote my INRAT about a month ago and got 96%.

My only other piece of advice - be sure to know a lot about GPS/RAIM/WAAS as the exam is full of it.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

When I did my INRAT and then the ATPL exams, I bought the aerocourse question book and . books and basically just studied for 2-3 weeks full of questions back to back to back. I found those worked really well for me, I did not do the aerocourse.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

I came across www.inratexamprep.com today & their platform looks very interactive & user friendly. Finally some competition within that space.

Return to “Flight Training”