Ratings in what order?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Ratings in what order?

Post by C-GKNT »

Notwithstanding TC officers with differing interpretation of the regulations, I most definitely got my CPL without a 300NM cross country "under supervision". It wasn't quite around the world, but I listed an 8,000NM trip I did from Alberta to Jamaica and back :lol:

To be honest I don't even remember what I did for a PTR. I think I had to go through my log book to list where the specific requirements for the CPL had been met. I had enough dual from my IFR and various other training throughout the years. My commercial specific training was basically an hour or so of dual with an instructor and a pre-flight test to get the recommend. Oh...and about 0.3 in a C-172 to do a spin :roll: . I have never understood why the spin was on the commercial flight test as by the time you are that level a lot (most?) of the stuff you are flying cannot be spun.

Glenn
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

C-GKNT wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:40 pm I have never understood why the spin was on the commercial flight test as by the time you are that level a lot (most?) of the stuff you are flying cannot be spun.
It's not about the spin entry but recognition of a imminent spin, recognition of the spin itself and recovery. Because a type is not allowed to be spun doesn't mean it cannot spin.

Going for the deck at corner
C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 pm
C-GKNT wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:40 pm I have never understood why the spin was on the commercial flight test as by the time you are that level a lot (most?) of the stuff you are flying cannot be spun.
It's not about the spin entry but recognition of a imminent spin, recognition of the spin itself and recovery. Because a type is not allowed to be spun doesn't mean it cannot spin.
I didn't say I thought concept of spins themselves were unimportant, just that I didn't think they should be on the commercial flight test. VMC rolls are a VERY important concept but not on the multi-engine flight test. More of a practical matter that most of the more advanced planes used at the commercial level cannot be spun. I believe that in the US, spins are not even taught until the CFI.

The reverse of this is...I don't understand why partial panel isn't tested on the IFR flight test.

Glenn

Homeless Dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Homeless Dog »

spins should not be a requirement at all. Why put yourself into a situation like that.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

C-GKNT wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:11 pm The reverse of this is...I don't understand why partial panel isn't tested on the IFR flight test.
Because they save it for the IPC (from the new version of AC 4004-004 issue 3 effective 2019-02-15)

(4) During the IPC, the candidate will be assessed on the following:
(a) Unusual attitude recovery:
(i) using a full panel of instruments; (See Appendix A)
(ii) using a partial panel, (without an attitude indicator/flight director or directional gyro/Horizontal Situation Indicator) or in the case
of an advanced electronic cockpit, without the primary flight display, only by use of the standby instruments. (See Appendix B)

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Out of curiosity, how will instructors include these 2 items during the flight test?
I haven't see anything on the regular publication.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... l-4886.htm

It will be very cruel to fail the engine and do that unusual attitude recovery all at the same time or fail the engine and partial panel. :D
Thank You
5x5 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 am Because they save it for the IPC (from the new version of AC 4004-004 issue 3 effective 2019-02-15)
(4) During the IPC, the candidate will be assessed on the following:
(a) Unusual attitude recovery:
(i) using a full panel of instruments; (See Appendix A)
(ii) using a partial panel, (without an attitude indicator/flight director or directional gyro/Horizontal Situation Indicator) or in the case
of an advanced electronic cockpit, without the primary flight display, only by use of the standby instruments. (See Appendix B)

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I don't think you can have multiple unrelated failures/events at the same time in a flight test, unless it's pilot induced. At least in all the ride I've done... maybe it's different in initial licensing though, I don't remember.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Engine failure and partial panel can not happen at the same time. You can only have one failure (and related items) at a time, unless you cause a second failure yourself.

I haven't heard any examiner doing an engine failure and unusual attitudes at the same time. While it doesn't violate the above rule, it doesn't give the examiner a chance to judge the applicants skills of maintaining altitude and heading during an engine failure, so it probably isn't allowed either.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Agree there theoretically.
So, let's say one is being tested on the partial panel on PA34 with the standard 6 pack+HSI+ GNS430.
If the flight examiner covers the HSI and the AI and one has to rely solely on the compass and the turn coordinator, can one "looks" at the GNS430 TRK and BRG? ...or will the examiner covers the GPS as well? :twisted:

digits_ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am Engine failure and partial panel can not happen at the same time. You can only have one failure (and related items) at a time, unless you cause a second failure yourself.

I haven't heard any examiner doing an engine failure and unusual attitudes at the same time. While it doesn't violate the above rule, it doesn't give the examiner a chance to judge the applicants skills of maintaining altitude and heading during an engine failure, so it probably isn't allowed either.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

A) you don’t need a PTR after your PPL, once you have a license you don’t need a PTR your logbook will suffice.
B) 300nm cross country doesn’t need to be done under supervision
C) if all of your ratings were done by instructors on an adhoc basis and not through a flight school that’s still legit as long as you cover the required hours.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

clairvoyant wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:35 pm Agree there theoretically.
So, let's say one is being tested on the partial panel on PA34 with the standard 6 pack+HSI+ GNS430.
If the flight examiner covers the HSI and the AI and one has to rely solely on the compass and the turn coordinator, can one "looks" at the GNS430 TRK and BRG? ...or will the examiner covers the GPS as well? :twisted:

digits_ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am Engine failure and partial panel can not happen at the same time. You can only have one failure (and related items) at a time, unless you cause a second failure yourself.

Of course you can use the GNS. If anything, it would work against you if you didn't.

That being said, be careful though, you wouldn't be the first to get disoriented by focussing on the GNS too much.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Flight Training”