Newbie here... seeking advice...to become CPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

EmaadS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Newbie here... seeking advice...to become CPL

Post by EmaadS »

Hello Hello

Just joined this forum, I have read other people post about attaining a license to fly commercially. I am seeking advice from people have been through this to guide me.

I am 36 years old, I have had my own Event and Marketing business since 2010. I have been an entrepreneur for as long as I can remember... with that being said, I have always wanted to be a Commerical pilot. It was my dream as a kid, its something which I have always wanted to do. I didn't pursue this when I was younger because I thought you need calculus and other math courses to do this along with University degree + the cost is enormous. I am at a point where I really want to pursue becoming a pilot and biggest thing stopping me is 1) Age... am I too old to pursue this at age 36? I know I won't be able to fly the big boy planes for another minimum of 5 years. 2) Cost is a lot and the weather in Canada is really bad, I am thinking about doing my PPL here over the next 4 months and moving to LA to live with my Uncle and pursue CPL and other ratings to complete everything. I have visit Spectrum in Burlington, it's very close to where I reside but they seem very expensive compared to Brampton. I tried to enroll in the one year program they have but I was late by a month. I have my discovery flight this Sunday at Brampton.. very excited.

My plan is to do an online course using Harv Air while doing flight school at Brampton for my PPL and see if i can go to LA for CPL. I found someone who was renting me Cessna 172 for $80/hour and I found a certified instructor for about $50 an hour but the individual who is renting the Cessna isn't willing to let me rent it since i don't have my PPL.

I have done a lot of research about the job market and the path I would have to take...

Would the job market still be hot in a year... a year and a half...? Am I too old to attempt this at 36? the path which i want to take is good?
I know everyone dreams of being your own boss, which I have been but this is me following my dream....
---------- ADS -----------

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Newbie here... seeking advice...to become CPL

Post by Skymark »

I found someone who was renting me Cessna 172...
Just note, this won't work for your PPL. You can only use an aircraft that you own for your flight training, you cannot rent someone else's aircraft.

Paul
Instructor @ Brampton

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

see if i can go to LA for CPL
Hmmm, if you're an entrepreneur in Canada, you'll appreciate the value to you of Canadians employing you, rather than going to LA and spending their money there. I hope you would support Canadian flying schools with the same loyalty. Yeah, our weather is less welcoming, some days you cannot fly, and some days you'll learn to fly in less perfect weather - if you want to be a commercial pilot in Canada, 'better get used to less than ideal weather!

Oh, and that $130/hour dual in LA will be in US$, and at busy airports in busy airspace. Yes, you'll get practiced flying in busy airspace, which is good, but you'll spend a lot more time taxiing, waiting to take off, and transiting to the training area, all of which cost you money. Brampton Flying Club owns its own airport, and Spectrum has a good relationship with the airport owner.

And, while you're learning to fly in Canada, you'll meet Canadian pilots and aviation industry people! Just the people you'd like to get to know for job applications later! Why return to the Canadian aviation industry as a nearly outsider CPL, when you could have learned here, and met lots of local people?

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:10 am
you'll appreciate the value to you of Canadians employing you, rather than going to LA and spending their money there. I hope you would support Canadian flying schools with the same loyalty.
Don't listen to this guy. The weather in Canada will extend your training and cost. Training is sub par at the best. Best training is in Florida for year round weather and price. Living is cheap down there. LA has a few places, van Nuys would be the best in my opinion but more expensive to live and fly. Weather is good.

36 is getting a bit old, but still doable. As to whether the market is still hot in a year. No one knows. It will be a gamble.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Don't listen to this guy.
Yeah, 'cause I'm not training nor hiring anyway, I just fly.
Training is sub par at the best.
Wow, is that a generalization for all of Canada? Or just Brampton and Spectrum?

mrwild
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrwild »

If you have the monies, you can fly on the weekend. I am not a pilot, but from 200000 ft looks like a lot of work and at the age you are you may be looking at settling down and spending more time with family.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

munzil wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:48 am
you'll appreciate the value to you of Canadians employing you, rather than going to LA and spending their money there. I hope you would support Canadian flying schools with the same loyalty.
Don't listen to this guy. The weather in Canada will extend your training and cost. Training is sub par at the best. Best training is in Florida for year round weather and price. Living is cheap down there. LA has a few places, van Nuys would be the best in my opinion but more expensive to live and fly. Weather is good.

36 is getting a bit old, but still doable. As to whether the market is still hot in a year. No one knows. It will be a gamble.
That is just silly.
Learn to fly in Canada. Get used to the Canadian weather if you want to work here.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

The states and europe has the availability for world class training. The aviation market in the US is more than 10 times the size of Canada. As an ex wide body captain, I have worked in 7 countries, and Canada continues to rank far behind all other first world countries in terms of pay and conditions. Why would you advise someone to work here?

Supporting canadian industry is a nonsensical reason to train here. Train where you will get the most bang for your buck. You're in the training for yourself - Treat your career like a business is the only way to win at this game.

Training in the states will open yourself to a much larger market. You have nothing to learn extra by training in Canada - deicing? Cat III approaches?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

munzil wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:50 pm \Why would you advise someone to work here?
Uh... because they're a Canadian citizen and don't have a green card or the right to work anywhere else? And because it's home?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
EmaadS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EmaadS »

mrwild wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:22 am If you have the monies, you can fly on the weekend. I am not a pilot, but from 200000 ft looks like a lot of work and at the age you are you may be looking at settling down and spending more time with family.
This is something i have been thinking about a lot.

EmaadS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EmaadS »

Hmmm, if you're an entrepreneur in Canada, you'll appreciate the value to you of Canadians employing you, rather than going to LA and spending their money there. I hope you would support Canadian flying schools with the same loyalty. Yeah, our weather is less welcoming, some days you cannot fly, and some days you'll learn to fly in less perfect weather - if you want to be a commercial pilot in Canada, 'better get used to less than ideal weather!

Oh, and that $130/hour dual in LA will be in US$, and at busy airports in busy airspace. Yes, you'll get practiced flying in busy airspace, which is good, but you'll spend a lot more time taxiing, waiting to take off, and transiting to the training area, all of which cost you money. Brampton Flying Club owns its own airport, and Spectrum has a good relationship with the airport owner.

And, while you're learning to fly in Canada, you'll meet Canadian pilots and aviation industry people! Just the people you'd like to get to know for job applications later! Why return to the Canadian aviation industry as a nearly outsider CPL, when you could have learned here, and met lots of local people?

I am all for supporting Canadian economy and Canada. BUT... at my age, I need to do what's best for me If I want to pursue this. Going to the states isnt 100%. I want to pursue my PPL and lets see how it goes... If i can do it within the next couple months and whichever school I end up with can help me get my CPL quickly... i would prefer to stay here.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I want to pursue my PPL and lets see how it goes... If i can do it within the next couple months and whichever school I end up with can help me get my CPL quickly... i would prefer to stay here.
That sounds fair. Give the Canadian business an opportunity to earn your business, and see how it goes. I have observed that most students do not fly frequently enough during their training. If you can devote the time to fly as often as the organization and weather allow, good for you!

I agree, climate change is a real thing, this past winter was not inviting for flying. I think that the weather gods owe us a nice summer!

RudesAviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RudesAviation »

EmaadS,

I'd love to help you with as much information as I can give you. I have recently gone through all of the things you are going through/are asking. Shoot me a message as I'd like to discuss your options with you!

EmaadS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EmaadS »

RudesAviation wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 am EmaadS,

I'd love to help you with as much information as I can give you. I have recently gone through all of the things you are going through/are asking. Shoot me a message as I'd like to discuss your options with you!

Hello Hello
Sent you a PM, lets connect, would love as much advice as i can get.

yaro007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yaro007 »

There is no right or wrong answer, and you definitely must do what’s best for you and your family. Perhaps this video will give you some insights: https://youtu.be/nTz3rTXog8A

Return to “Flight Training”