Pressure Temperature relationships

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pressure Temperature relationships

Post by GAPILOT »

Hello everyone, I am going to be writing my CPL exam soon and had a quick meteorology question, it may sound silly so I apologize in advance. There are many temperature and pressure relationships. For example:

1) As height increases, Pressure always decreases, due to the weight of the atmosphere decreasing but the Temperature varies from layer to layer.

2) When True Altitude is higher than Indicated we can see that this happens when both Pressure and Temperature increases

3) Then comes Pressure Systems, High Pressure Systems usually means Cold Temperatures and Low Pressure Systems usually has High Temperatures

I may be missing out something obvious but I would really appreciate some help to get me back on track. Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pressure Temperature relationships

Post by digits_ »

The confusion might come from the place where you are measuring temperature. In 1) and 2) the temperature is measured at different altitudes. In 3) it isl compared at the same altitude but above different locations.
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Flight Training”