Durham Flight Centre Vs Spectrum : PPL Training.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

EmaadS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Durham Flight Centre Vs Spectrum : PPL Training.

Post by EmaadS »

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for assistance in picking a school for my PPL.

Spectrum - 20 - 25 min drive from where I live, Rental rates are very high, they do have availability for me. I was able to find an instructor to work with me and availability is mid-June for start.

Durham - about 50 min to an hour away, the rates are very competitive, but I know the money I save in rental will be spent in Gas and driving back and forth. They say they have availability, I am planning on visiting the school scope it out.

Which school is better suited for training overall aside from what I have stated above? Any feedback and Recommendation are appreciated.

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Durham Flight Centre Vs Spectrum : PPL Training.

Post by PilotDAR »

You may spend more time taxiing, and waiting for traffic at Oshawa. And the narrow runways and taxiways at Burlington will keep you sharp!

The other thing I think about when I fly in and out of Oshawa (or Buttonville) is that now there are few places to conduct a forced approach around the airport, if something goes wrong while you're in the circuit. I really have come to like having some open space around me.

On the other hand, your radio work will be better if you learn to fly at Oshawa.

SeñorPiloto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SeñorPiloto »

I did my flight training at DFC 8 years a go, never had to wait at all to taxi out of the apron, practice areas are to the north, east and west of the airport, to the north was the preferred area because it was pretty quiet, mostly the DFC guys would go there. At the time I did my training, DFC was the cheapest flight school in southern Ontario. I cant comment on the other school. I also flew lots of Buttonville and that was hectic.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

SeñorPiloto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 pm I did my flight training at DFC 8 years a go, never had to wait at all to taxi out of the apron, practice areas are to the north, east and west of the airport, to the north was the preferred area because it was pretty quiet, mostly the DFC guys would go there. At the time I did my training, DFC was the cheapest flight school in southern Ontario. I cant comment on the other school. I also flew lots of Buttonville and that was hectic.
Just be advised, things have changed a lot in the last couple years. Much of the former YKZ traffic has moved to YOO, so it is now a reasonably busy airport.

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

A346Dude wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:25 pm
SeñorPiloto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 pm I did my flight training at DFC 8 years a go, never had to wait at all to taxi out of the apron, practice areas are to the north, east and west of the airport, to the north was the preferred area because it was pretty quiet, mostly the DFC guys would go there. At the time I did my training, DFC was the cheapest flight school in southern Ontario. I cant comment on the other school. I also flew lots of Buttonville and that was hectic.
Just be advised, things have changed a lot in the last couple years. Much of the former YKZ traffic has moved to YOO, so it is now a reasonably busy airport.
Yep, can confirm YOO has been pretty busy lately especially any days VFR permit, with students from both DFC and Toronto airways (previously at YKZ) training out of it + I’ve also been informed that summer is usually the season the traffic hits its peak!

GrummanTrav
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GrummanTrav »

I was a student at Spectrum. Great instructors there. One of our partners got us kicked out by maintaining the plane outside the school.

I'm still a huge fan. Everyone there is very friendly and helpful.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

GrummanTrav wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:09 am I was a student at Spectrum. Great instructors there. One of our partners got us kicked out by maintaining the plane outside the school.

I'm still a huge fan. Everyone there is very friendly and helpful.
What did he do?

Return to “Flight Training”