Flight Instructor Practical Exam

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Horia1337
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Instructor Practical Exam

Post by Horia1337 »

Good afternoon guys. I have seen some topics on this forum about the guys talking how their practical exam and the ground part went.
I just wanted to see if anybody else did it not long ago :). I am passing it in the next 2-3 weeks. I understood that most of the flight test is happening on the white board and if you nail you PGI on the white board and white clear and simple explanations, and how to behave like an instructor because thats what TC is looking in this exam it should go smooth as long as you keep it simple.
Pretty much just looking to see if anybody else did it not long ago and can share their experiences. Looking to see how the exam went more than what questions did the inspector asked. :prayer: :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Flight Instructor Practical Exam

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

The check ride won't go like your typical PPL/CPL flight test. A couple things of note.

1. ALWAYS be willing to play the part. While a button up shirt/tie, dress pants, dress shoes, etc isn't a requirement, it will make a good first impression to your examiner. You want to impress your examiner early on, so that he may be willing to overlook at bad mark on your flight test and give you a pass instead.

2. Your examiner will go through the typical briefing on how the flight test will go. You will be provided a PGI to teach to him, most likely the night before the flight test. On test day, once the preliminary stuff is done, he will act as your student. While you are teaching, he will provide incorrect answers to your questions...seemingly at random. He WILL be checking to make sure you can catch these incorrect answers, and that you are posing questions with all of the recommended qualities of the questions(ie. no yes/no answer style questions).

3. You are correct, in that the hard part is the ground work. Once you are in the air, though, it's still no time to slack thinking you have it in the bag. The smallest things can screw your test up, in the best interest of Primacy and teaching its right the first time.

4. If you are you use my own personal opinion, I would put a little more effort and focus on any of the items listed on LP #5 in the FIG. Almost every single one of my tests(initial, renewals, upgrades) involved teaching an item from this lesson plan. Expect to be asked to teach each one of those exercises in the air as well. Do take this advice with a grain of salt though. If it's in the PPL syllabus, you could technically be expected to teach any of those exercises. However, I wouldn't expect items such as radio nav or XC to be taught on an initial

Good luck on the flight test...at the end of it all, make sure you get plenty of rest, and stay on your toes throughout it's entirety.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Horia1337 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:16 am Good afternoon guys. I have seen some topics on this forum about the guys talking how their practical exam and the ground part went.
I just wanted to see if anybody else did it not long ago :). I am passing it in the next 2-3 weeks. I understood that most of the flight test is happening on the white board and if you nail you PGI on the white board and white clear and simple explanations, and how to behave like an instructor because thats what TC is looking in this exam it should go smooth as long as you keep it simple.
Pretty much just looking to see if anybody else did it not long ago and can share their experiences. Looking to see how the exam went more than what questions did the inspector asked. :prayer: :prayer:
Yep, basically do your PGI, and depending on the examiner they might just stop you short and say let's go flying. Just make sure to treat them like a student as much as you can (it'll be hard), ask some simple questions just like you said. I remember over doing it in the air with talking, he said to relax and not do as much at one time. We tend to talk faster under pressure.

The flying was the same, teach and fly a few exercises, a few emergencies and that's about it. Mine was about 1.0
All in all pretty straight forward

Good luck! It's alot of fun!

Edit: also review ALL exercises cause they can ask for any of them both air and ground, be prepared

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FreelanceInstructor wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:19 am 1. ALWAYS be willing to play the part. While a button up shirt/tie, dress pants, dress shoes, etc isn't a requirement, it will make a good first impression to your examiner. You want to impress your examiner early on, so that he may be willing to overlook at bad mark on your flight test and give you a pass instead.
This is just silly.

Your other points are good advise though.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Flight Training”