Pilot training in Canada - International students

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

andrea96gabrieli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pilot training in Canada - International students

Post by andrea96gabrieli »

Hello,
I am an European student interested in the pilot training in Canada to stay there after graduation; I am starting from zero, but I have no idea what is the best path for internationals, to get all licenses, modular or integrated and what flight school? Do airlines in Canada want a Canadian degree or college diploma?
My goal is to enter a Canadian major airline as soon as possible

Thank you in advance for any info :)
---------- ADS -----------

yaro007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Pilot training in Canada - International students

Post by yaro007 »

Perhaps this video will help you get started! International Pilot Training in Canada https://youtu.be/VWtdix3xcXE

jasonCH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasonCH »

andrea96gabrieli wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 am Hello,
I am an European student interested in the pilot training in Canada to stay there after graduation; I am starting from zero, but I have no idea what is the best path for internationals, to get all licenses, modular or integrated and what flight school? Do airlines in Canada want a Canadian degree or college diploma?
My goal is to enter a Canadian major airline as soon as possible

Thank you in advance for any info :)
Same thing here, i'm a high skill migrant in Switzerland but looking forward to move to CA for flight training. Mainly because flight schools are ridiculously priced in Europe, especially western ATOs while in eastern ATOs you could go from zero to hero in on €34k but i doubt back home any western Airlines would be ready to accept you.

I'm surprised nobody flamed you up so far, but their approach might be different with you since many look at settling down in Europe. In fact many of them moving for fresher air is how their market opened up. Check out for 250hrs jobs firstly because a post study work permit is useless if your field is saturated.

For a post study work permit(PSWP), i believe you need to enroll for a degree in Aviation where you go from zero to hero after 3 years. Your PSWP duration always reflect number of years you've studied there. However fees are as high as CAD 20-28(k) per year. Extra fees, accommodation, living expenses, extra hours, i would say you're safe with CAD150K.

Finally don't pester Air Canada with applications of less than 2000 hours, if you've reached that level am sure you'll be holding a PR and there are serious jobs out there.

Good luck.

dereceer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dereceer »

Degree isn't required for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), you can do modular and get PGWP from there.

andrea96gabrieli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Are there cadet pilot programs that provide also international students with a pilot job after completion of the pilot training in Canada?

TopGun1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TopGun1234 »

andrea96gabrieli wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:38 am Are there cadet pilot programs that provide also international students with a pilot job after completion of the pilot training in Canada?
There aren't even any "cadet pilot programs" for native born Canadians per se. You can go work for a regional airline as a dispatcher, rampie/dock worker that may have a flight line program.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that someone from Europe would want to leave and come to Canada to fly. You're better off just staying where you are.

To paraphrase many other pilots on here: "There isn't a shortage of pilots, there's a shortage of pilots willing to work for shit pay."

jasonCH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasonCH »

dereceer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 am Degree isn't required for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), you can do modular and get PGWP from there.

You're right, i've gone through my information again and realized as long as your study course lasts for more than 8 months and you're studying at a from a DLC(Designated Learning Center) you should be good.

jasonCH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasonCH »

TopGun1234 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:13 pm
andrea96gabrieli wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:38 am Are there cadet pilot programs that provide also international students with a pilot job after completion of the pilot training in Canada?
There aren't even any "cadet pilot programs" for native born Canadians per se. You can go work for a regional airline as a dispatcher, rampie/dock worker that may have a flight line program.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that someone from Europe would want to leave and come to Canada to fly. You're better off just staying where you are.

To paraphrase many other pilots on here: "There isn't a shortage of pilots, there's a shortage of pilots willing to work for shit pay."
People don't fly for the salary but the passion. I have a 4 years degree in engineering, 2 years apprenticeship in Hotel mgt in CH, a mad-to-be gf and about to surrender my life saving to the world's notorious money-eating machines, ATOs.

If some find it sh*t pay then that be their problem, i meet way too many Canadians in EU for them to dare whine about foreigners/Europeans looking for opportunities on their motherland.

None of us expect a great pay, fine roaster, never grudging wife and happiest kids ever. If you're not progressing then that be because of your lazy *ss, shying away newbies will not increase your pay because you think you'll be heavily solicited. Even in Switzerland we are bearing it with your Quebec duck like accent, but we never tell your people to go back to where they belong.

After reading your comment, i hail Western EU Airlines like Swiss which are proudly nationalist in their recruitment, because some think only about their lazy *ss.

Never forget, your country has a laidback immigration policy because most of your people are all over here and over the rest of the world.

Best regards.

TopGun1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TopGun1234 »

jasonCH wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:38 pm People don't fly for the salary but the passion. I have a 4 years degree in engineering, 2 years apprenticeship in Hotel mgt in CH, a mad-to-be gf and about to surrender my life saving to the world's notorious money-eating machines, ATOs.
I don't know why you're angry. He asked a question and I answered it. You're credentials aren't really going to matter all that much in the current climate. I know of engineers who have gotten passed over by people with much less simply because they had the connections. Right time at the right place.

You might be saving now on the cost of training but overall you're quality of life will be better in Europe. That was my point. You're attitude was unwarranted.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

You can only get the higher wages if you can actually find a job. Even though the situation in Europe is improving, it's nowhere near as "easy" as in Canada to find a job.

Let alone the career progression and the types of flying you can do in Canada. There is almost no general aviation in Europe in comparison with Canada.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
andrea96gabrieli
Rank 0
Rank 0

digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:18 pm

You can only get the higher wages if you can actually find a job. Even though the situation in Europe is improving, it's nowhere near as "easy" as in Canada to find a job.

Let alone the career progression and the types of flying you can do in Canada. There is almost no general aviation in Europe in comparison with Canada.
What do most international students do after training in Canada? Do they go back to their home country?

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

andrea96gabrieli wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 am
digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:18 pm

What do most international students do after training in Canada? Do they go back to their home country?
It varies with every student mate. If you’re just commencing on your training, I wouldn’t speculate too tough as things change over time. As of now, it’s safe to say the opportunities are endless here. From obtaining the legal rights to work upon completion of the course to various operators across the country to apply for. I’m wrapping up my CPL (hopefully by next month) & wondering whether I should take the chance & try to find a Single engine land gig or continue towards upgrading to group 1? as I already have a group 3 rating.

jasonCH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasonCH »

TopGun1234 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm
jasonCH wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:38 pm People don't fly for the salary but the passion. I have a 4 years degree in engineering, 2 years apprenticeship in Hotel mgt in CH, a mad-to-be gf and about to surrender my life saving to the world's notorious money-eating machines, ATOs.
I don't know why you're angry. He asked a question and I answered it. You're credentials aren't really going to matter all that much in the current climate. I know of engineers who have gotten passed over by people with much less simply because they had the connections. Right time at the right place.

You might be saving now on the cost of training but overall you're quality of life will be better in Europe. That was my point. You're attitude was unwarranted.
Sorry mate, but connections work only for a bunch not the whole aviation community. You can't tell me every pilot you know got in through connections. Maybe you're one of those who were in aviation in the 90s and now enjoy golfing around at retirement, but the current aviation era is looking for Pilots with degrees, because flying with the fly-by-wire technology has become more of a thinking and decisive job than what it used to be. Pilots are no more pilots, they're managers who manage an aircraft in the air and occasionally fly if they feel they should intervene over the machine.

My attitude is not unwarranted, but i meet and hear way over too many Canadians complaining about people coming to their country, but you know what ? They're all working out their country. I once even met one in Africa because he <<was feeling the need for a change>>, guess you guys have three balls. That's why some things are allowed for you but not us !

Regards.

Return to “Flight Training”