Float Rating Newfoundland

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Tertius
Rank 1
Rank 1

Float Rating Newfoundland

Post by Tertius »

Where in Newfoundland can I do my float rating?
---------- ADS -----------

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Float Rating Newfoundland

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Sorry but the only flight school there is GFT and they don't do a float rating.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Luckily you don't need a flight school for a seaplane rating. You just need to find someone who meets the CAR 425.21(6) requirement, which is just about anyone who owns a floatplane.

(6) A person who conducts flight training toward the issuance of a landplane class rating or a seaplane class rating shall:

(a) be the holder of a Commercial Pilot Licence or an Airline Transport Pilot Licence; and

(b) have experience of not less than 50 hours flight time on the class of aeroplane used for the training.

So head down to Paddy's Pond in St. John's or to the small seaplane base at the Gander airport and find a friendly face that wouldn't mind training you for 7 hours. I'm sure if you ask around Paddy's pond there will be people that can point you in the right direction towards someone who can train you up.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Luckily you don't need a flight school for a seaplane rating.
Is true. However, recall the requirement for five solo circuits. That is not so easily arranged on a non school, or privately insured airplane. Have a plan before you show up eager to go....

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Rick Adams used to do them in Springdale. I know his son is still flying and probably still has a float plane kicking around.

Return to “Flight Training”