Advice for a 30 year old

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Advice for a 30 year old

Post by albertdesalvo »

TT1900 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 pmIf you were turned away, it’s not just age but a multitude of factors, timing included.
This is going back a long, long, long, LONG time, and I can't pretend to recall the specific conversation. But I recall this... I walked in ready to sign on the dotted line. I had made a decision, and I was ready. And I wasn't some JO off the street, my uncle flew the Voodoo and I had seen a few RCAF bases from airside. I understood what signing up meant.

But the conversation at the recruiting office was a brief one, and it basically went like this: "You should have come here a couple of years ago. Right now, we are not enlisting people of your age."

They didn't know anything else about me. Nothing. All they knew was my age, and I was disqualified. Once they knew how old I was, they had no further interest. They were polite, but I was shown the door.

Again, I can't pretend to remember how old I was at that time, but it would be somewhere between 20 and 25.
---------- ADS -----------

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

albertdesalvo wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm This is going back a long, long, long, LONG time, and I can't pretend to recall the specific conversation.
Which makes your experience, and subsequent advice, completely irrelevant to today’s applicants.

VinctLeiter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VinctLeiter »

Don't trust any flight academy and do your own research. Flight academies have only one goal and that is to make a profit by luring in as many naive students and their money as they can with tales of the glorious pilot's life. They don't care about their students getting hired.

If you wish to become an airline pilot you need to research the jobmarket and evaluate the risk that you can't find a job after you have graduated.

Check out my blogs: eatrbox- toodrie - ginnero
R1fraf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by R1fraf »

Last edited by R1fraf on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

WannaBushPilot wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:45 am Hello guys,

I'm 30 year Canadian citizen living in the EU - I moved abroad to pursue med school but I have since dropped out and unhappy with academia for the most part. I guess you could say academia 'burnt me out'.

I have always loved the idea of becoming a pilot but due external pressures, I was pushed towards academia where I just did not feel happy.

Recently, I've been thinking of coming back to Canada & going to flight school. However, after searching around the forums and reading some topics; the 'no degree no future' statements have left me a bit discouraged and am afraid of pulling the plug.

Is it truly that awful to enter the field without a degree?

Thanks for the feedback.
I work at AC and have no degree. No post secondary at all. Zero problems in training at any companies I worked for in the past including AC, contrary to what they want you to believe. In fact I would consider I've been well above the average standard, but then again I am probably biased.

It's all a lie. If you work hard and have a good attitude you can get far in this industry.

I started flying later in life as well and things are moving quickly these days. If AC was your goal I could see you being there by 35-37 if you start training now and have the motivation to go find a job and build experience, and the knowledge to know when it's time to move on to the next step and not "get stuck."

Good luck.

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

I got my ppl at 29. No degree, and finished cpl after 30. No degree and did just fine getting a good flying job

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

I should mention that it took over a year to get the first flying job, and lived pretty cheaply for many years to reach the goal. If it's a real desire, you will have to make sacrifices and organize your priorities. I drove a crappy car and lived very minimalistic in order to achieve this dream. It was fun, an adventure and worth it

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Foregone wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:02 pm
I should mention that it took over a year to get the first flying job, and lived pretty cheaply for many years to reach the goal. If it's a real desire, you will have to make sacrifices and organize your priorities. I drove a crappy car and lived very minimalistic in order to achieve this dream. It was fun, an adventure and worth it
Good advice from my own life, at the same age.

Return to “Flight Training”