IFR Charts Question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

IFR Charts Question

Post by pelmet »

Some of you may be familiar with the term TERPS which relates to instrument procedures designed in the USA. Most countries internationally use a different procedure called PANS-Ops. If you have Jeppesen charts for an approach, TERPS or PANS-Ops will be listed in small print on the chart allowing the user to know which procedure has been used for the chart design.

Differences in design include the size of the protected area for circling approaches. One might not pay much attention to this but it was an issue in an accident a few years back involving a 767 circling in South Korea which has the more restrictive TERPS procedures and some terrain just outside the protected area.

Anyways, I was reading an article the other day which lists the few international countries(outside the US) that use TERPS and Canada was mentioned as one of them. While I know that our procedures are similar, I thought that there were some differences and that it is called TP308.

But is TP308 exactly the same as TERPS or are there some differences.
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: IFR Charts Question

Post by kevenv »

I have a copy of both if you would like to compare them.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

kevenv wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:00 pm I have a copy of both if you would like to compare them.
Much appreciated. But admittedly, I am happy with a simple answer.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

kevenv wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:00 pm I have a copy of both if you would like to compare them.
Do yo have a current version of 308?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

pelmet wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 am Much appreciated. But admittedly, I am happy with a simple answer.
It has been too long since i had anything to do with approaches and departures to give you good answer.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Ki-ll wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 am
Jan 2017 is the version I have.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

kevenv wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 pm
Ki-ll wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 am
Jan 2017 is the version I have.
That’s the one I could online, thanks.

Return to “Flight Training”