IATRA validity 2.0

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Sayagainplease
Rank 0
Rank 0

IATRA validity 2.0

Post by Sayagainplease »

Hi, I know this question has been asked any times before but I believe this time it is different.

Cars 421.40 states : (A) in the case of the holder of a Private Pilot Licence-Aeroplane or Commercial Pilot Licence-Aeroplane, within the 24 months preceding the application for the first endorsement of the two crew rating, an applicant shall have obtained a minimum score of 70 percent (70%) on the Type Rating-Aeroplane (IATRA) written examination;
(amended 2001/03/01)

If I understand what is written it means that even if you have a type rating on a 2 crew aircraft, if the exam has been written more than 2 years ago you will need to write it again for a different type rating. It only locks it in for the specific type rating. If it was valid for any type rating it would say : "the first endorsement of a two crew rating"

Is this right?
---------- ADS -----------

martinez
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IATRA validity 2.0

Post by martinez »

The best answer is no one really knows. I've heard its frozen forever after you get a 2 crew type rating, One ACP has told me its only frozen for 7 years another told me 10 years.

Anyways, unless they severely messed things up for me you wont have to write the exam again.

I wrote my iatra in 2011, received a 2 crew type rating in 2012, and received another 2 crew type rating in 2015. I never had to write the exam again and never had my ATPL while getting those type ratings.

Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: IATRA validity 2.0

Post by Aeros »

Individual Type Ratings don't expire so you wouldn't get the same specific Type Rating issued a second time. While each Type Rating is issued specific to an aircraft type, they are all technically called a "two crew rating" so the standard is simply referencing the Type Ratings by their general term - B737 and B747 are both different TYPES but each is a "two crew" rating.

Once you have earned one two-crew Type Rating you no longer need to worry about when the IATRA was last written.

Return to “Flight Training”