Flight Test Matrix marking

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

foxonefoxone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flight Test Matrix marking

Post by foxonefoxone »

I heard that the matrix system of marking comes into effect or has come into effect . Does anyone have more information.
Under this system a the total number of items marked 2 and 1s can only be five . If it is more the student fails. For cpl it is four.

Would appreciate more info.Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Flight Test Matrix marking

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

foxonefoxone wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:29 am I heard that the matrix system of marking comes into effect or has come into effect . Does anyone have more information.
Under this system a the total number of items marked 2 and 1s can only be five . If it is more the student fails. For cpl it is four.

Would appreciate more info.Thanks
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... 08-002.pdf

Here's the reference for the changes. 2nd page, bullet 1, states September 25, 2019 is the effective date.

Also, incorrect on the use of the new system. The total number of allowable items assessed as a 1 remains the same. However, the amount of 2's allowed has changed. If you look at the statistics, 2017/2018 seen a total number of 2 flight tests with 12 items assessed as a 2 (out of a possible 16 items btw) that was still allowed to pass the ride. Scariest f***ing statistic I've seen in a long time. Under the new system, any tests that exceed the allowed number of assessed 2's would result in a complete failure, and the student will need to retest.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Is there a standardization by TC for this flight test matrix/scale?
I feel like all these checkrides are very subjective on the marking and vary from one examiner to the next.
For example:
I received 2 on my steep turn during my multi engine checkride although I adhered to the standard (smooth, coordinated, +/-10, +/-100, +/-5, etc.).
The examiner told me that I didn't "divide attention appropriately between outside visual references and instrument indications." based on TP 219 - Flight Test Guide - Multi-Engine Class Rating - Aeroplane.
In my defense, it was a bumpy checkride.
Anyway, I am just wondering here for my own professional development.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There is a lot of attention paid to standardization.
I received 2 on my steep turn during my multi engine checkride although I adhered to the standard (smooth, coordinated, +/-10, +/-100, +/-5, etc.).
As you found out, you can be marked down for reasons other than exceeding a numerical standard. On steep turns it's particularly important to maintain an appropriate lookout.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”