Best route to do training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Misto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Best route to do training

Post by Misto »

Hi folks,

I'm currently in my 3rd year of university but would like to go to college after for aviation. My goal is to fly whatever I can and have no immediate desire to go to the airlines. I always thought it would be cool to head outwest for flying.

I'm located in Ontario and would prefer to keep it there for simplicity, but am open to whatever is best.

What would be the best schools to attend? Financially a college would be better to try and apply for osap.

I initially liked Sault but was reading that they're having a lot of problems. 😬
---------- ADS -----------

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Best route to do training

Post by TalkingPie »

Unless you have wealthy parents or another benefactor, I would consider starting to work in whatever field you studied and going to a private flight training unit in your spare time with your spare money. Especially if you already have student loan debt, the last thing you need is to pile on even more of it while earning no money.

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowcrest »

If money's not a problem, I'd get it all done in 14 months at Brampton. If you're willing to move out of province, BCIT out in Vancouver has a decent 1.5 year program.

Whatever you choose to do, I would not recommend the 3+ year college/university programs. Your degree will already check off that box at AC, so their advanced diploma/degree just isn't worth it.

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

Honestly just do it on your own. Go to a few schools and sit down with them and tell them you are there to pound through everything and want to have somewhat of "syllabus.." I know Pro IFR, Harv's and PFC all do this for private students. Brampton probably does as well. Don't go in blind. Go in with expectations of what you want and make it clear. If they seem on board and already have a whole syllabus they pull out to show you then that's probably a decent place to go. Also make sure they have a good amount of planes and instructors.

Return to “Flight Training”