Why is the horizontal distance from cloud different in controlled vs uncontrolled airspace?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Why is the horizontal distance from cloud different in controlled vs uncontrolled airspace?

Post by Pilotdaddy »

https://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/bil/t ... p6010b.pdf

Why is it 1SM from cloud (horizontally) in Controlled but only 2000ft in Uncontrolled? I know that this is for IFR traffic, but IFR traffic can also descend into and make an approach in uncontrolled airports.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/c ... nimums.pdf

In the US, they only seem to have this 1SM horizontal cloud clearance above 10,000MSL. Horizontal clearance for cloud below 10,000 is just 2000ft. Any idea why we have the 1SM horizontal limitation for Controlled airspace in Canada?

P.S. I know that there is no practical way to definitively measure distance from cloud when up there and we're all just really eyeballing approximate distances, so this is just a curiosity question as opposed to an enforcement/practical scenario.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Why is the horizontal distance from cloud different in controlled vs uncontrolled airspace?

Post by photofly »

My guess: in controlled airspace, the minima are set to provide VFR/IFR pilots the opportunity to match ATC IFR/IFR separation standards between themselves by visual means. In uncontrolled airspace there are no separation standards. IFR traffic in uncontrolled airspace is voluntarily operating without any separation standard at all, so minima there are set based on a very basic see-and-avoid requirement for VFR traffic.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Why is the horizontal distance from cloud different in controlled vs uncontrolled airspace?

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Makes sense... Thanks!

Return to “Flight Training”