Calgary Okotoks flight school student concerns???

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

wingman2002
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calgary Okotoks flight school student concerns???

Post by wingman2002 »

I've been hearing from a friend out west, strange and unbelievable things in regards to this schools training ?
If you fail 3 lessons you're kicked out and they keep your money that you've paid up front(this is rule number 1 Never do)
Any one else have any stories in regards to this school?
---------- ADS -----------

wingover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Calgary Okotoks flight school student concerns???

Post by wingover »

I had looked at going to this school back when it first started but got some weird vibes about it. The whole guaranteed licence thing for 17 grand seemed odd. At 45 hours that would equate to an average of $378 per hour! And what I was told was, if you weren't on track to finish it at 45 hours, they would kick you out of their "platinum" program.
After talking to many of the students who have left to finish elsewhere, I am so glad I never did any work with them.
I have heard the same stories of three strikes and you are out with them keeping your money. (surprised there isn't a massive uproar about this) How can you "fail" a lesson? A lesson is supposed to teach you not test you.
I know people who live in the airpark and I have seen pictures of their airplanes off the runway on numerous occasions.
I also have heard directly from students who, once they gave their money and were promised to be flying right away were delayed for up to three months.
Over all I think it is important for all of us who already have our PPL and have friends wanting to get flight training to emphasis to them the first rule of flight schools. NEVER EVER put large amounts of money down. Pay as you go and if the flight school is not up to par, you can walk away.

wingman2002
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wingman2002 »

Thanks for the confirmation. Hope the word gets out about their SOP's.
Its a shame that so many students haven't a clue what they are getting into until its to late.

Daigo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Daigo »

Stay away

Return to “Flight Training”