Flight school delays - Covid19

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ONCastor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Flight school delays - Covid19

Post by ONCastor »

It not smart that we only rely on what the regulations/government says. legal =/= smart
In the past, some people didn't see "proofs" for flying under some risky conditions. Thus, all those regulations came in throughout the years afterward.

It is "good" that you are still flying but be EXTRA Careful (limited the communication with your peer and hopefully your instructor only takes you as a student) if you got seriously sick. It can end your career too. (Not even saying it can be spread to communities yet. some people just don't care about external cost)

Enjoy flying, be safe!
---------- ADS -----------

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

I am surprised to see any flight school still operating. A COPA e-mail from February 24 has an article with the following link to minutes of a TC meeting:

https://copanational.org/wp-content/upl ... -Final.pdf

According to this document "Flight schools and training are not deemed as an essential service"

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

the future of flight wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:21 am
final28 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am You don’t seem to understand that people can have the virus and spread it without showing any symptoms, or several days before actually becoming sick. That’s why we have the “physical distancing” rules which you cannot follow in the cockpit of a plane.
If that's really true (there's no real proof - maybe we all have it and the sick people are just weak), why would my school still be open? No one has shut us down, cuz we're doing everything right. My school couldn't be certified if they were breaking any rules, right? So while the rest of you are on the ground, I'm getting my hours. Thank goodness theres common sense somewhere.
There is plenty of proof! Where are you training?

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

final28 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am You don’t seem to understand that people can have the virus and spread it without showing any symptoms, or several days before actually becoming sick. That’s why we have the “physical distancing” rules which you cannot follow in the cockpit of a plane.
If that's really true (there's no real proof - maybe we all have it and the sick people are just weak), why would my school still be open? No one has shut us down, cuz we're doing everything right. My school couldn't be certified if they were breaking any rules, right? So while the rest of you are on the ground, I'm getting my hours. Thank goodness theres common sense somewhere.
This is a joke right?

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

He's either a troll, or an idiot.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:10 pm He's either a troll, or an idiot.
I'm leaning towards both.... On top of that his username makes me nervous...

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

Getting your hours? First time seeing people say that in training...

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Influenced by an instructor who’s getting hours?

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

final28 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:55 pm Influenced by an instructor who’s getting hours?
To be fair, I have heard the "getting in the hours" or some variant of, from at least half of the students I've and prospective students I've talked to over the years. The layman's concept of flight training is something like this:

1. Start training
2. Get in your hours
3. ?????????
4. Licensed pilot!

On the extreme end, I've been too frequently queried about "banging out" the 45 required hours over a weekend. You know, because there's 48 hours over a weekend, so lots of time....

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by the future of flight »

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

I'd be interested in hearing how CFC management enforces social distancing within the confines of a 40" wide light aircraft cabin. It would also be fascinating to hear how they expect instructors, students and renters to "avoid all contact with sick people" when Covid-19 carriers can be asymptomatic.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sounds like something the B.C. Ministry of Health should be made aware of...

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Well kudos to you I guess, enjoy your flying petri dish. Must be a provincial thing, here in Ontario that definitely would not fly.....

the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:15 pm Sounds like something the B.C. Ministry of Health should be made aware of...
Can you show me where the BC ministry of health says no flight training? I bet you can't.

Maybe it's time that BC flight schools ask themselves why they are closed.

the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

TwinOtterFan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:53 pm Well kudos to you I guess, enjoy your flying petri dish. Must be a provincial thing, here in Ontario that definitely would not fly.....
Thanks! I'm glad I'm not in Ontario.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

the future of flight wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 pm
Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:15 pm Sounds like something the B.C. Ministry of Health should be made aware of...
Can you show me where the BC ministry of health says no flight training? I bet you can't.

From the BC Government web site

For Transportation the list below is the list of essential services

Supply chain services needed to supply goods for societal functioning, including:
Cooling
Storing
Packaging
Transportation
Warehousing
Distribution
Workers who support the maintenance and operation of cargo through air, marine, rail and trucking transportation services, including:
Crews, maintenance, operations and other facilities workers
Services to support and enable transportation, including highway, road, bridge maintenance and repair
Services to respond to emergencies impacting transportation routes
Employees who build, repair, maintain and overhaul vehicles, aircraft and parts, rail equipment, marine vessels, bicycles and the equipment and infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers, as well as vehicle rentals and leasing, including land, air, and marine vessels engaged in national defence
Services and facilities that facilitate the interprovincial and intra-provincial transportation of essential supplies, personnel and services, including:
Port/waterfront operations
Road
Air
Rail operations
Commercial vehicle safety enforcement
Truck scales
Commercial vehicle inspection stations
Brokerages
Vehicle towing
Commercial cardlock fuel providers
Truck and rest stops
Private and public transportation services, such as:
Buses
Trains
Taxis
Car-share programs
Ride-hailing
Aircraft
Marine vessels

Not seeing flight training.....

the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 pm
the future of flight wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 pm

From the BC Government web site

For Transportation the list below is the list of essential services

Supply chain services needed to supply goods for societal functioning, including:
Cooling
Storing
Packaging
Transportation
Warehousing
Distribution
Workers who support the maintenance and operation of cargo through air, marine, rail and trucking transportation services, including:
Crews, maintenance, operations and other facilities workers
Services to support and enable transportation, including highway, road, bridge maintenance and repair
Services to respond to emergencies impacting transportation routes
Employees who build, repair, maintain and overhaul vehicles, aircraft and parts, rail equipment, marine vessels, bicycles and the equipment and infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers, as well as vehicle rentals and leasing, including land, air, and marine vessels engaged in national defence
Services and facilities that facilitate the interprovincial and intra-provincial transportation of essential supplies, personnel and services, including:
Port/waterfront operations
Road
Air
Rail operations
Commercial vehicle safety enforcement
Truck scales
Commercial vehicle inspection stations
Brokerages
Vehicle towing
Commercial cardlock fuel providers
Truck and rest stops
Private and public transportation services, such as:
Buses
Trains
Taxis
Car-share programs
Ride-hailing
Aircraft
Marine vessels

Not seeing flight training.....
From the same website:
"The PHO has ordered some types of businesses to close. Any business or service that has not been ordered to close and is also not identified on the essential service list may stay open if they can adapt their services and workplace to the orders and recommendations of the PHO.

All organizations and services must follow all PHO Orders, Notices and Guidance to ensure safe operations and reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19"

So nice try, but no need to close.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

the future of flight wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 pm From the same website:
"The PHO has ordered some types of businesses to close. Any business or service that has not been ordered to close and is also not identified on the essential service list may stay open if they can adapt their services and workplace to the orders and recommendations of the PHO.

All organizations and services must follow all PHO Orders, Notices and Guidance to ensure safe operations and reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19"

So nice try, but no need to close.
Again, please explain to us how to practice social distancing while taking flight instruction in a light trainer (unless you're both wearing full hazmat suits), or how you and CFC plan to to identify individuals who are carrying the virus but are asymptomatic, so that you can avoid them.

So nice try, but closing probably not a bad idea.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

A bit surprised after doing some reading that the BC government isn't explicitly prohibiting flight schools from operating... Alberta laid down the law and prohibited training, and as far as I'm aware the flight schools have all followed their guidance (generally) and suspended operations except for fuel sales and the occasional place offering rentals. But seriously, this guy IS part of the problem thinking that social distancing shouldn't apply to him or that the science is somehow not clear that mild and asymptomatic transmission is occurring. But hey, the ends justify the means for the "future of flight". Clown.

the future of flight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:54 am A bit surprised after doing some reading that the BC government isn't explicitly prohibiting flight schools from operating... Alberta laid down the law and prohibited training, and as far as I'm aware the flight schools have all followed their guidance (generally) and suspended operations except for fuel sales and the occasional place offering rentals. But seriously, this guy IS part of the problem thinking that social distancing shouldn't apply to him or that the science is somehow not clear that mild and asymptomatic transmission is occurring. But hey, the ends justify the means for the "future of flight". Clown.
Wow. Now that you admit your wrong, you just call me names. Its not my fault that BC is taking a more common sense approach to this.

Serious question here to everyone - how do pilots in any cockpit practice "social distancing"? Are they 2 metres apart? And if not, how is flight training any different if we do good cleaning procedures and only fly with one instructor? You can't argue that flying passengers is essential. Maybe cargo, but people? How come you don't critisize that? So if you say close down flight training, I say stop all flying except cargo and medical.

Return to “Flight Training”