Question about NOTAM [PERIPHERAL STATION (PAL) U/S]

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pilot4u1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question about NOTAM [PERIPHERAL STATION (PAL) U/S]

Post by pilot4u1234 »

I've seen the NOTAM like PERIPHERAL STATION (PAL) is unservice.
even though I search that PAL, I can't exactly understand what does that mean for my VFR or IFR flight.

for example, when you see like that NOTAM
if I do VFR, I don't need to care?
or if I do IFR, what thing that I have to care about that?

A) CZVR B) 2003201522 C) 2003272359EST
E) VANCOUVER CENTRE PERIPHERAL STATION (PAL)
132.35MHZ AT KAMLOOPS U/S. USE 128.27MHZ)

A) CYWL B) 2002052332 C) 2005052359EST
E) VANCOUVER CENTRE PERIPHERAL STATION (PAL) 381.4MHZ AT WILLIAMS
LAKE U/S)
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Question about NOTAM [PERIPHERAL STATION (PAL) U/S]

Post by digits_ »

I don't have the chart with me, but your IFR LO/HI chart should indicate where the different PAL stations are located. These NOTAM indicate that the listed frequency is not available at that PAL.

You might still be able to receive other frequencies at that location, or be reaching a PAL further away. In your example: if, for whatever reason, you would need to contact 132.25 at Kamloops, you better make alternative plans as that frequency might not be available.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Question about NOTAM [PERIPHERAL STATION (PAL) U/S]

Post by 455tt »

Think of it this way.

The RCO's are remote receivers/transmitters that enable you to extend voice communications with FSS/FIC, which would be useful on VFR and IFR flights, for purposes of weather updates, flight plan revisions etc., while the PAL's are remote receivers/transmitters that enable you to extend voice communications with ATC IFR Centre for IFR/CVFR flights, for position reporting and ATC enroute IFR/CVFR clearances.

On a simple VFR flight, you would not be concerned about a PAL station being U/S, although I suppose the argument could be raised that it would mean one less available secondary frequency for an emergency.

However on an IFR/CVFR flight, you would be much more concerned if a PAL station were U/S, since it would mean a loss of voice communications with ATC centre over that frequency. You would have to locate other available alternate PAL stations further away that would hopefully be usable.

Either way the NOTAM is there so that you are fully informed as per your particular flight.

Return to “Flight Training”