What to do next?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

What to do next?

Post by shivam282 »

I finished my PPL, gained a lot of hours and I think I'm ready to move on. My end goal is CPL Multi IFR, with an ATPL eventually.

What should I go ahead and do next? My plan currently is CPL next, then Instrument, and finally Multi Engine.

Are there any requirements in terms of the order I do things? Example: Instrument before CPL or vice-versa etc.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: What to do next?

Post by triplebarrel »

For a IFR or ME you need a PPL prior to. No set way of doing it, like you can get a multi before your CPL if you want. But you need a multi to start your multi-IFR rating (group 1) But 100% if you have your PPL now, go and get your night rating.

For IFR you need certain hourly requirements such as 50 XC PIC, 40 Hours Instrument 20 of which can be in a SIM but the rest is real or under the hood. You also will do your 100nm trip during your IFR training. And ofcourse your INRAT exam, which is a whole other beast (use harvs air to study) Have the INRAT done before you start your IFR, you'll be swamped studying approaches and IFR rules while in your flight training. For Multi you do your flight test when your instructor feels you meet the competency level of the ride. The average is 9 hours I believe.

The conventional order and you might as well just do it this way is, PPL, CPL, Multi, then IFR(must be in the twin for Group 1, I presume you want a career flying more than 1 engine)

For the CPL my instructor got me to go under the hood on the way to the practice area and back. For each flight, it was like a .3 or so. It added up nicely in the end for the CPL sim requirement of 20 (10 in sim max) . Any hood time(instrument) attained during your PPL, CPL will count towards your IFR rating. SO get him/her to do hood time often with you.

Flying for fun? Go XC with your friends at night...(get your night rating asap) These night XC PIC hours will not only come in handy when you need 50 XC PIC for the IFR but it will come in handy when you get your ATPL where you need 25 XC PIC Night hours. This is hard for people to get apparently. I would never know because my PPL instructor told me to fly at night XC so almost all my time building was at night. But to this day I still hear that some people have a challenge with getting this 25. I know it would depend on where you work etc, but why not make your life easier in the end?

Get use to going to transport Canada CARs for direct information on requirements and prerequisites and basically any rule. Any more questions you can message me, hope this helps. For the time being flight schools are closed due to covid, but good time to do your research

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

triplebarrel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:02 pm But you need a multi to start your multi-IFR rating (group 1) But 100% if you have your PPL now, go and get your night rating.
The cheapest way to do the MIFR, is doing the majority of the IFR procedure training in a single - then polish up your multi-engine flying in the twin with a twist of IFR thrown in. Saves a pile of money, versus bombing around the whole bloody time trying to figure out IFR flying while at the controls of an aircraft running up the hobbs at $5+/minute.

As for getting your night rating now, you've picked that magical time of the year where you can keep a Class 4 instructor up for ~24 hours - if you play your cards right. And then complain online when they nod off in cruise...

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

You do not need a Multi Rating to start your IFR training. You can start your IFR training in the Multi on your first flight. After several hours of IFR and Multi training in the twin you can take your Multi Rating Flight Test.

This was my approach as an instructor. It was cost effective and all my initial students passed in minimum time.

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

dialdriver wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:51 pm You do not need a Multi Rating to start your IFR training. You can start your IFR training in the Multi on your first flight. After several hours of IFR and Multi training in the twin you can take your Multi Rating Flight Test.

This was my approach as an instructor. It was cost effective and all my initial students passed in minimum time.
that is cool, I had no idea about that!

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

7ECA wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:45 pm
triplebarrel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:02 pm But you need a multi to start your multi-IFR rating (group 1) But 100% if you have your PPL now, go and get your night rating.
The cheapest way to do the MIFR, is doing the majority of the IFR procedure training in a single - then polish up your multi-engine flying in the twin with a twist of IFR thrown in. Saves a pile of money, versus bombing around the whole bloody time trying to figure out IFR flying while at the controls of an aircraft running up the hobbs at $5+/minute.

As for getting your night rating now, you've picked that magical time of the year where you can keep a Class 4 instructor up for ~24 hours - if you play your cards right. And then complain online when they nod off in cruise...

Another excellent perspective and I have heard of this as well. I did do a good 4 flights or so in the 172 IFR before going into the twin. However I think doing like you said a majority of the flights in a single would be the way to go. Thanks for your input here, some good information for the original poster.

Return to “Flight Training”