Convert from TC to FAA

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Mehdi_isback
Rank 0
Rank 0

Convert from TC to FAA

Post by Mehdi_isback »

Hey dudes, actually I'm considering flight training in Canada (because of the cost, the practice of English, etc.). I know there are great flight schools there, but I also know the airline industry is in trouble. I'm planning for the next years. I'll go to Canada in order to pass the CPL, MEIFR, FI ratings. But I don't want to be limited with professional jobs, and I think having FAA licenses would be a plus if you want to work in the USA (US currency is stronger than CAD)

If we look at the AC 61-135A (which is an official document issued by the FAA), I know that there is a special conversion process, I'll have to pass 2 written exams: one for CPL and another one for the IR. Therefore, part 7.a.(8) explains that all ratings recognized by the FAA and TC are acceptable for conversion. Does it include the instructor rating (CFI or CFII or MEI) ??

Thank you,
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Convert from TC to FAA

Post by nbinont »

Mehdi_isback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 pm ...I think having FAA licenses would be a plus if you want to work in the USA (US currency is stronger than CAD)
Make sure you have the right to work in the USA, if that is what you want to do. (Or right to work in Canada if that is what you want to do.) If you don't have it, training at a formal school in the country you wish to work in opens some immigration pathways.
Mehdi_isback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 pm If we look at the AC 61-135A (which is an official document issued by the FAA), I know that there is a special conversion process, I'll have to pass 2 written exams: one for CPL and another one for the IR. Therefore, part 7.a.(8) explains that all ratings recognized by the FAA and TC are acceptable for conversion. Does it include the instructor rating (CFI or CFII or MEI) ??
Yes, that's the correct doc and procedure.
CFI/CFII/MEI are not convertible to my knowledge.
In general, if you want to primarily fly in one country, do your training in the country you wish to fly in primarily. The theory is the same, but the rules and procedures are subtly different - learning both will take more time.

Mehdi_isback
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mehdi_isback »

nbinont wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:54 pm
Mehdi_isback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 pm ...I think having FAA licenses would be a plus if you want to work in the USA (US currency is stronger than CAD)
Make sure you have the right to work in the USA, if that is what you want to do. (Or right to work in Canada if that is what you want to do.) If you don't have it, training at a formal school in the country you wish to work in opens some immigration pathways.
Mehdi_isback wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 pm If we look at the AC 61-135A (which is an official document issued by the FAA), I know that there is a special conversion process, I'll have to pass 2 written exams: one for CPL and another one for the IR. Therefore, part 7.a.(8) explains that all ratings recognized by the FAA and TC are acceptable for conversion. Does it include the instructor rating (CFI or CFII or MEI) ??
Yes, that's the correct doc and procedure.
CFI/CFII/MEI are not convertible to my knowledge.
In general, if you want to primarily fly in one country, do your training in the country you wish to fly in primarily. The theory is the same, but the rules and procedures are subtly different - learning both will take more time.
Thanks for reply! I know the importance of immigration in both countries. In Canada I can use my background (because I'm actually studying engineering), and in USA I must a sponsorship from the employer. I'm not sure about which country, but the loonie is lower so training is more affordable.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Instructor Ratings are not covered in the IPL between Canada and the United States. The training philosophy is subtly different between Canada and the United States and each country expects Instructors to train pilots according to their philosophy and using their training material.

Despite the IPL which simplifies the administrative aspects of converting a license/certificate between the two countries, you need to commit some study time to become really well versed in the differences of aviation in the country you are converting to, especially if you plan to do this professionally. It takes time and effort but can be done.

Immigration is a completely different matter. No company in the United States will sponsor you as a pilot. Period. You might be able to get a one-year work permit for the practical experience if you went through training in the United States (organized through the flight school), and I know of a few Canadian citizens who work as Flight Instructors at US universities as "professors" through the NAFTA TN Visa, but the rails end there. US Immigration is largely family based. Unless you get married to a Permanent Resident or Citizen in that country, or you have other close family ties, as a pilot, you will be out of luck for sponsorship until and unless there is substantial immigration reform (and I have waited for about 30 years for something like that to happen- so don't hold your breath).

The only downside, as has been mentioned before, is the loss of networking opportunities from going to a (larger) Canadian flight school. Networking is an important career development skill, but again, you can do this in other ways if you trained outside of the country with some effort and creativity.

Having said all of that, I have suggested to Canadian friends to consider going to the US to do their flight training and then return and convert them. I figure there is an excellent economic case for it, and I also figure that pretty much all Canadian professional pilots should consider having their FAA certificate- even though I am a Canadian citizen and have no right to work in the United States, I have held very good-paying jobs flying N-registered aircraft abroad which delivered financial and career rewards well beyond what I could have expected in Canada.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Mehdi_isback
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mehdi_isback »

Oh, you think it's better to do training in the USA and then convert to Canada. I imagined the opposite because in the USA you must get TSA approval (aka spending time and money AND a student visa (aka spending again time and money). Therefore, I know there are a lot of opportunities worldwide to fly for hire on N- aircraft (in Europe, Asia, Middle East, ...).
If already hold a French PPL with some glider PIC hours, so I have two solutions :
- IR FAA - CPL Single FAA - Multi add-on
- CPL TC - Multiengine - Multi/IFR
Maybe I'll start my career in Canada as a flight instructor, then switch to 704 operations in order to reach ATP requirements. So I would be able to apply to US regional airlines (which pay very well according to Airline Pilot Central).

In both cases, it's far better than in Europe. Here you must pay 60k euros (100k$), "partnerships" are more important than hard-work, the theory is absolutely useless (testimonials from € pilots), regulation is horrible. And TR costs 30k€.

Return to “Flight Training”