Advice needed for choices of schools!!!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pilotfromhk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Advice needed for choices of schools!!!

Post by pilotfromhk »

Hi all! Greetings from Hong Kong! And I am looking forwards to being a flight instructor in Canada!
After doing tonnes of researches, I have come up with a few choices of flight schools and would like to get some advices!

1. ProIFR (Delta, BC)
2. Coastal Pacific Aviation (Abbotsford, BC)
3. Harv's Air (Winnipeg, MB)
4. Brampton Flight Centre (Caledon, ON)
5. Pacific Flying Club (Delta, BC)
6. Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre (Breslau, ON)

In terms of flight-related costs, 1-4 cost 62-63K while 5-6 cost 70K.
In terms of living costs, those not in BC should be a bit cheaper.
In terms of sizes, they are pretty much the same with 20+ aircrafts.
In terms of weather for VFR, probably best in Winnipeg?

Any advice or experience can be shared regarding the mentioned flight schools?
Many thanks!!!
---------- ADS -----------

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Advice needed for choices of schools!!!

Post by ZBBYLW »

Id suggest Harv's Air personally. With the weather being VFR more frequently than the other spots, chances are you'll likely keep more current and fly more often, which helps by being current. (if you don't fly for a week, the first portion of the first flight back will be getting back in the swing of things).

pilotfromhk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotfromhk »

ZBBYLW wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:29 am Id suggest Harv's Air personally. With the weather being VFR more frequently than the other spots, chances are you'll likely keep more current and fly more often, which helps by being current. (if you don't fly for a week, the first portion of the first flight back will be getting back in the swing of things).
Thanks mate! Yes I have searched that probably Winnipeg has the best weather for VFR in the lists.
But at the same time I am a bit worried about the safety because I saw that the crime rate in Winnipeg is quite high?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Crime rate is only high in one area of the city that has drugs and poverty, it’s very easy to stay away from that spot and most of the city is quite safe. The flight school isn’t in the city they have 2 locations one in a town 10 min north of the city (St. Andrews) and the other in a town 45 min to the south east of the city (steinbach)

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

pilotfromhk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:22 am Hi all! Greetings from Hong Kong! And I am looking forwards to being a flight instructor in Canada!
After doing tonnes of researches, I have come up with a few choices of flight schools and would like to get some advices!

1. ProIFR (Delta, BC)

Many thanks!!!

It's probably not the advice you're looking for but would your visa cover working in non instructor jobs? I feel like being in BC or Ontario would have a better job market outside of flying if you plan on working on days off.

Also check transit, it looks like some of those schools have bus connections, though some you really would need a car. Winnipeg will have the best weather. If you have any questions PM me!

pilotfromhk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotfromhk »

fish4life wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 am Crime rate is only high in one area of the city that has drugs and poverty, it’s very easy to stay away from that spot and most of the city is quite safe. The flight school isn’t in the city they have 2 locations one in a town 10 min north of the city (St. Andrews) and the other in a town 45 min to the south east of the city (steinbach)
That's true. Thanks for the advice!

pilotfromhk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotfromhk »

gtappl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 am
pilotfromhk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:22 am Hi all! Greetings from Hong Kong! And I am looking forwards to being a flight instructor in Canada!

1. ProIFR (Delta, BC)

Many thanks!!!

It's probably not the advice you're looking for but would your visa cover working in non instructor jobs? I feel like being in BC or Ontario would have a better job market outside of flying if you plan on working on days off.

Also check transit, it looks like some of those schools have bus connections, though some you really would need a car. Winnipeg will have the best weather. If you have any questions PM me!
Yes the study visa allows me to work part time during studying. But I think I would take the flight lessons quite intensively so that may not be my concern.
Definitely will get a car if I go to Winnipeg because of the extremely cold winter and remote location of the flight school.
Thanks for your advice!

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

pilotfromhk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:29 am

1. ProIFR (Delta, BC)

Many thanks!!!

Yes the study visa allows me to work part time during studying. But I think I would take the flight lessons quite intensively so that may not be my concern.
Definitely will get a car if I go to Winnipeg because of the extremely cold winter and remote location of the flight school.
Thanks for your advice!
Also keep in mind if you want to be an instructor after, Winipeg may not be your best bet since there aren't many schools, unless you're willing to relocate after you finish your CPL. Tons of factors to consider is the sucky part.

pilotfromhk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotfromhk »

gtappl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks for your advice!
Also keep in mind if you want to be an instructor after, Winipeg may not be your best bet since there aren't many schools, unless you're willing to relocate after you finish your CPL. Tons of factors to consider is the sucky part.
Sure I would definitely willing to re-locate to any part of Canada!
Even air taxi or bush pilot sound good to me because I just want to get those hours and apply for the commercial airlines :)

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

pilotfromhk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 am
gtappl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks for your advice!
Sure I would definitely willing to re-locate to any part of Canada!
Even air taxi or bush pilot sound good to me because I just want to get those hours and apply for the commercial airlines :)
With the current situation, I feel instructing is probably the most likely first job, but I'm not at that stage yet so noob answer :p

romeosierra
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by romeosierra »

Hey I'm looking forward to join Harvs soon. What flight school did you choose? @pilotfromhk

Return to “Flight Training”