Does partial passing in CPAER affect one’s career in any way..?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Does partial passing affect one’s career in any way..?

Post by digits_ »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:04 pm Most European airlines ask something similar. School grades, university degree grades. They like their paperwork.

More than 2 failed written tests or more than 1 failed flight test and you're out in some of them. They do get a ton of applicants though.
That really depends on the company. Some just want to see that you are a normal person and that you are who your CV says you are.

At my former employer in The Netherlands I just did a 20 minute informal chat with the HFO after which he said "You are welcome".

At my present employer it was an informal chat with the Deputy Manager Training and a visual circuit in the Simulator. This was on a Friday and groundschool started on Monday! This has since become a bit more structured as the company has expanded.
I'd wager that the OP is looking for info getting that first airline job, and that no airline in Europe or Asia will hire a 200 hour pilot based on a 20 minute interview.
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Does partial passing in CPAER affect one’s career in any way..?

Post by Mike23 »

Ok Guys I would like to conclude it here...after asking a current pilot who recently got hired told me that airlines would select you based on your personality and based on your license and flight experience. Nobody checks your exam scores unless you want to show them..at least in North America!!

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

Mike23 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 pm Does partial passing in CPL written affect one’s career in any way..?
I'm a bit late getting to this conversation, but I've failed three flight tests (partial PPL, partial CPL, and failed first attempt at Class 2 Instructor upgrade). Since then, I've been asked about failed flight tests (not written exams though) in two job interviews -- one 703 and one 705. So I got to tell the interviewers all about why I failed and what I learned from it. I got the job in both cases.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:45 pm
Mike23 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 pm Does partial passing in CPL written affect one’s career in any way..?
I'm a bit late getting to this conversation, but I've failed three flight tests (partial PPL, partial CPL, and failed first attempt at Class 2 Instructor upgrade). Since then, I've been asked about failed flight tests (not written exams though) in two job interviews -- one 703 and one 705. So I got to tell the interviewers all about why I failed and what I learned from it. I got the job in both cases.
I’m so PROUD of you that you didn’t stop pursuing your dream. At the end, we all learn from our failures. Thanks for sharing your story!! 👨‍✈️👊

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

no

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Does partial passing affect one’s career in any way..?

Post by Eric Janson »

digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:04 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:04 pm Most European airlines ask something similar. School grades, university degree grades. They like their paperwork.

More than 2 failed written tests or more than 1 failed flight test and you're out in some of them. They do get a ton of applicants though.
That really depends on the company. Some just want to see that you are a normal person and that you are who your CV says you are.

At my former employer in The Netherlands I just did a 20 minute informal chat with the HFO after which he said "You are welcome".

At my present employer it was an informal chat with the Deputy Manager Training and a visual circuit in the Simulator. This was on a Friday and groundschool started on Monday! This has since become a bit more structured as the company has expanded.
I'd wager that the OP is looking for info getting that first airline job, and that no airline in Europe or Asia will hire a 200 hour pilot based on a 20 minute interview.
That may be the case - but I honestly can not remember ever having to show any flight test results.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “Flight Training”