instructor rating in toronto

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

roger
Rank 0
Rank 0

instructor rating in toronto

Post by roger »

looking for reviews of flight instructor rating programs in the toronto area.
any takers?
---------- ADS -----------

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

Try Dario at Markham if he has the time you'll walk away with a good rating. As for programs, organized there aren't any. Most places do one on one or two depending.

I wish I could spell
peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

Dario is a great guy to fly with you will learn a lot.

C-GPME
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GPME »

The CFI at island air is an amazing instructor. Will push you and the plane to the limit. I find the best way to become a master at what you do is to know what you can and cannot do.

Cheers

PME

Where'd who go?
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Where'd who go? »

I agree with PME.

Last edited by Where'd who go? on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clodhopper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Clodhopper »

If you don't mind a guy who sets standards much higher than that required, there is always "That Doctor Guy" at Peninsulair-Air in CYHM. Its a bit of a drive depending on where in Toronto you are, but a real good atmosphere to get the rating and work.

Definitely likes to talk, but he's done more instructor ratings than I can shake a stick at, and knows his stuff.

a.k.a. "Big Foot"
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Well, If I wasn't on my way out of town for a few months I offer my services. Given that that isn't an option I'd have to say John Chandler at Island Air is your best bet. I've worked with all the other fellows mention in the thread so far and John is better. Very high standards and you will come away knowing what you are doing. Barring that try Ken Lam at Brampton, I did my aerobatic instructor rating with him, he knows his stuff.

roger
Rank 0
Rank 0

thanks

Post by roger »

thanks for all the suggestions!
now to start the masochistic life of a flight instructor.
gotta go stock up on some KD

thanks again

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Some free (and thus probably unwanted) advice to anyone starting their flight instructor rating:

The flight instructor rating is different than any other licence or rating that you have attained so far, because a flight instructor rating ISN'T about you flying the aircraft.

It's a given that you can fly the aircraft, and perform any task in the flight test guides within the specified limits. Getting a flight instructor rating isn't about learning how to make . Yeager nervous as you pull into his 5 o-clock :roll:

The flight instructor rating is all about TEACHING other people, and the skills required really have nothing to do with aviation, but are common to any other form of instruction.

I will leave you with a heretic parting thought: No one teaches anyone else anything. Sometimes people learn, and sometimes they don't, regardless of whether or not anyone happens to be teaching them at the time.

Your job as a flight instructor is to allow people to learn (ie teach themselves) how to fly, without killing themselves.

Just a thought or two from a guy with a couple thousand hours of dual given (shrug).

niko
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by niko »

mcrit wrote:Well, If I wasn't on my way out of town for a few months I offer my services. Given that that isn't an option I'd have to say John Chandler at Island Air is your best bet. I've worked with all the other fellows mention in the thread so far and John is better. Very high standards and you will come away knowing what you are doing. Barring that try Ken Lam at Brampton, I did my aerobatic instructor rating with him, he knows his stuff.
mcrit = Dario?

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

two different chaps. mcrit would have been your best bet for a 1...but sadly he's moving on to greener pastures......well colder and faster one's.

cheers mcrit

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Hotel Tango
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Hotel Tango »

John Chandler is the way to go. The downside is it's Island Air. But John is a good guy with decades of experience in the Air Force, Seneca College and teaching instructor ratings at Island Air.

HT

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I would like to make one thing really clear.

I AM NOT DARIO!

Thanks for the compliment av8tor, it was great working with you, sorry to leave you in the lurch! Get than degree done and you can come and work with me!

Last edited by mcrit on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CB »

I have to say John Chandler at Island Air, thats who a bunch of us did ours with 2 years ago.

Would not change the past to do it with someone eles.

PHD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PHD »

Well, for all the advise I am going to give...I would agree with most of the guys,,,,,,I would say shop around a little more and check out prices, time that the Class I can commite to you, and how much it will cost ya at the end. Job oportunity at the end...I dont know how many class four I have hired in the past 3 months that have done their ratting somewhere else..which is in some way wrong, but thats my personal opoinion on that one.

Anyhow I am the crazy Egyption, and thanks guys for your comments, Not realy sure who you are but i am sure you know me from the old days. and Micrt i dont think you ever worked with or for me, dont think we even meet before.

Anyhoo...I would have to agree with some of the Guys about JC..Chandler that is, I am not saying that i would do any better or any worst than the man but his expirnce is far to superior than what I have. The man has been flying since the 60's so yes i would recommend Chandler without a dout.

anyhow, best of luck and like I said take your time looking for what works for you the most......

Either you get busy doing it ............or you get busy loosing it .......
cheers

testpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by testpilot »

The CFI at the island is a Class II. Can he teach instructor hopefuls?

Hey Morgan , where are you going?

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

testpilot wrote:The CFI at the island is a Class II. Can he teach instructor hopefuls?

Hey Morgan , where are you going?
In a word? "NO".

Only a class one instructor in Canada can teach towards an instructor rating.
CARs 401.71 wrote:Class 2 - Privileges

401.71 The holder of a Class 2 flight instructor rating - aeroplane may

(a) exercise the privileges of a Class 3 flight instructor rating - aeroplane;

(b) supervise the holder of a Class 4 flight instructor rating - aeroplane; and

(c) act as chief flight instructor of a flight training unit.
and for class one privileges:
CARs 401.72 wrote:Class 1 - Privileges

401.72 The holder of a Class 1 flight instructor rating - aeroplane may

(a) exercise the privileges of a Class 2 flight instructor rating - aeroplane; and

(b) conduct ground school instruction and flight training in respect of the endorsement of a flight instructor rating - aeroplane.
Linkage: http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regse ... htm#401_71

Hope that helps!

-Guy

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

TC guy wrote a thread a few before his last one.

One of best things I have read about instructors. Nice post TC.

Hotel Tango
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Hotel Tango »

John Chandler is not the CFI, he just does instructor ratings and acts as a DFTE. I guess the best way to describe his position is he's semi-retired.

The new CFI at Island Air WAS a Class II but I'm not sure what he is now.

Return to “Flight Training”