More bad physics - turns

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: More bad physics - turns

Post by photofly »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 pm By definition, lift directly opposes weight.
Um... no it doesn’t.

Lift absolutely increases in a turn. I think you had a brain fart there.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

In level flight, it does.

Going for the deck at corner
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You of all people should know the definition of lift has nothing to do with weight! Level or banked flight, has nothing to do with it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

photofly wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:09 pm You of all people should know the definition of lift has nothing to do with weight! Level or banked flight, has nothing to do with it.
In level flight, it opposes weight, as in, positive lift will counteract weight in some form. Sure, 90 deg AoB and you have exactly 0 lift....

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In a 90 degree banked turn, you have a shit tonne of lift. It’s what pulls you around the turn.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 pm By definition, lift directly opposes weight. Weight doesn’t change and you are not climbing therefore lift remains the same.
You can certainly define lift this way if you want to and if you're consistent about it, but it's unconventional, and I suspect it would lead to lots of unnecessary complications. Lift is normally defined as the component of aerodynamic force perpendicular to the relative airflow and in the aircraft's plane of symmetry.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:04 pm
AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 pm By definition, lift directly opposes weight. Weight doesn’t change and you are not climbing therefore lift remains the same.
You can certainly define lift this way if you want to and if you're consistent about it, but it's unconventional, and I suspect it would lead to lots of unnecessary complications. Lift is normally defined as the component of aerodynamic force perpendicular to the relative airflow and in the aircraft's plane of symmetry.
The point remains: lift, drag and all aerodynamic forces that we self-define stem from really one sum of forces: the sum of all aerodynamic forces, regardless of where they originate. The moment those forces generate will dictate where, on the airplane, the force is deemed to act upon. The fact that some force originate from the elevator is irrelevant on this analysis.

When you put an aircraft model in a wind tunnel and define coefficients, you artificially define upon which axis the coefficients will be applicable (and thus define your conventions).

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm
The point remains: lift, drag and all aerodynamic forces that we self-define stem from really one sum of forces: the sum of all aerodynamic forces, regardless of where they originate. The moment those forces generate will dictate where, on the airplane, the force is deemed to act upon. The fact that some force originate from the elevator is irrelevant on this analysis.

When you put an aircraft model in a wind tunnel and define coefficients, you artificially define upon which axis the coefficients will be applicable (and thus define your conventions).
With your definition of lift, why would the lift change when you are climbing? Your weight doesn't change while you're climbing either.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

digits_ wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:22 pm
AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm

With your definition of lift, why would the lift change when you are climbing? Your weight doesn't change while you're climbing either.
In level flight I said... But you can either nitpick an arbitrary definition (which is my point) or understand that in reality, there is one aggregate aerodynamic force acting upon the aircraft. Sure you can split it by surface but for the analysis of a coordinated turn, there is no point in doing so, unless we get into a stability and control discussion.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:26 pm This is not what "stable" means in the context of flight dynamics. A stable aircraft will return to it's trimmed angle of attack and trimmed slip angle (which ideally is zero). That's it. Stability doesn't require anything wrt straight and level.
Sorry - this is what I meant by a stable aircraft. You are correct. However, in a turn, there are aerodynamic forces working to return the plane to its trimmed AoA and slip angle. Although rotation has been established, and no, does not require acceleration to maintain it, it does require an aerodynamic force counteracting the force of drag (if you can call it that) working to restore stable flight.
Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:26 pm This isn't true when we talk about the transition into the turn, which requires angular acceleration.
This speaks to my previous point - although no further acceleration is required to maintain the established attitude and rate of turn in a steady turn, there are forces at work attempting to restore the plane to stable flight. The more forward position of the centre of lift is what causes the force to prevent this.
Lift remains the same in a climb too, else you would be accelerating upwards. You are not - you are moving upwards at a steady rate. The transition to the climb requires a brief period of increased lift, but once the climb has been established, lift is still equal to weight, unless you account for the now downwards component of drag (let's not split hairs over that definition yet though...) - which would require additional lift to overcome, although I believe this effect can be safely ignored for the purposes of this argument.

But, for the purposes of argument, sure, let us simplify lift to a single vector in a turn. It is not only greater by a proportion equal to the load factor (assuming a level turn or steady climb/descent), it is now more forward of the CoG than it was in stable flight. This cannot be accurately represented in a head-on view of an airplane.

It seems to me that this effect is a crucial factor to consider in a turn. Perhaps I'm wrong on that point, but clearly I don't think I am, or I wouldn't be making this argument. By ignoring this effect, the original pictures, while not wrong per se, are incomplete.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Why are you happy to ignore vertical component of drag in a turn ("I believe this effect can be safely ignored") but not movement of the centre of pressure? ("By ignoring this effect, the original pictures, while not wrong per se, are incomplete.")

That seems rather arbitrary to me. What's your basis for this?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 pm In level flight I said... But you can either nitpick an arbitrary definition (which is my point) or understand that in reality, there is one aggregate aerodynamic force acting upon the aircraft. Sure you can split it by surface but for the analysis of a coordinated turn, there is no point in doing so, unless we get into a stability and control discussion.
Yes, you did. You wrote (my emphasis):
By definition, lift directly opposes weight. Weight doesn’t change and you are not climbing therefore lift remains the same.
Why did you add the emphasised part?
While not technically incorrect, you do heavily imply that with your definition of lift, the lift would not remain the same during a climb. Why? I don't see how.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

photofly wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 am Why are you happy to ignore vertical component of drag in a turn ("I believe this effect can be safely ignored") but not movement of the centre of pressure? ("By ignoring this effect, the original pictures, while not wrong per se, are incomplete.")

That seems rather arbitrary to me. What's your basis for this?
In a level turn (and in all level flight), there is no vertical component of drag, and I'm attempting to limit my argument to level turns to simplify it. Correct me if I'm wrong. I already barely understand my own argument :lol:

In a climb or descent, there is indeed vertical drag. I said "I believe this effect can be safely ignored for the purposes of this argument". Now, were we to argue over the finer points of the magnitude of lift involved in a climb, I would not ignore the effect.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.

Return to “Flight Training”