Aztec E

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Aztec E

Post by AirDoan »

Hello all.

I might have the chance to get some extra multi time in an Aztec (1970ish I think, which should make it an E) while I am laid off here. Does anyone have a copy of some documents such as the POH/Checklist/SOPs/etc for one of these? I'm just curious about it more than anything and haven't found much on the almighty google thus far.

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Aztec E

Post by rxl »

I have this B model owners handbook if you are interested. B models are carbureted, E models are injected so it may not be of much use to you. PM me if you want it.
B501AE39-21A0-4D1F-8C42-CA7F7D8DC291.jpeg
B501AE39-21A0-4D1F-8C42-CA7F7D8DC291.jpeg (357.16 KiB) Viewed 780 times

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

IIRC, the E model was the first to get the longer nose, and also the first to switch to a 28 volt electrical system. The D model and earlier used 14 volts of electrickery.

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Thanks everyone! That has all been a great help!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

NotDirty! wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 pm IIRC, the E model was the first to get the longer nose, and also the first to switch to a 28 volt electrical system. The D model and earlier used 14 volts of electrickery.
I did some multi-training on the E. If I remember correctly, it is a poor design because the loss of the engine with the hydraulic pump means you can't retract the gear. I also seem to remember a trim crank on the ceiling that was inevitable turned the wrong way initially(but was overcome easily with electric trim). The heater was difficult to start too although it wasn't needed much when I flew it.

Subject to confirmation as it was a long time ago.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

pelmet wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 am
NotDirty! wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 pm IIRC, the E model was the first to get the longer nose, and also the first to switch to a 28 volt electrical system. The D model and earlier used 14 volts of electrickery.
I did some multi-training on the E. If I remember correctly, it is a poor design because the loss of the engine with the hydraulic pump means you can't retract the gear. I also seem to remember a trim crank on the ceiling that was inevitable turned the wrong way initially(but was overcome easily with electric trim). The heater was difficult to start too although it wasn't needed much when I flew it.

Subject to confirmation as it was a long time ago.
That all sounds about right, although not unique to the E model... I flew a D model with all the same problems! But in the long run, it is a nice airplane, and one of the few light aircraft where you can actually fill the seats and fill the tanks.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Here is practically everything you need for the Aztec E.
https://www.mikejones.aero/multiengine
At the bottom of the web page are links to download much of what you're asking for.
Enjoy the Aztec. A great aeroplane to bang around in.

cheers,
Gino Under :partyman:

Return to “Flight Training”